A little disapointed and looking for upgrade opinions

Slingn

Ok, so I built ( ok, I had built by someone with better eyes and more patience) this system and I pretty much left any budgetary concerns out of it. I mean, I tried be prudent, and not waste money, (I hate listening to my wife complain about my spending habits), but nonetheless, I got what I thought was pretty hi end stuff. But now that it’s all working pretty well, I’m just a little disappointed.

I'm currently running @ 10X250 with 1.4125 volts and the memory at default timings. I still have a stock hsf but figure I'll settle in around 2600 with some better thermal protection. Currently, I get about 4400 3d06 marks, and while that seems about average, I think I still would like a little more umph. My monitor's native res is 1680X1050 and when I run some games at that res, with the details cranked, I don’t get the fps I would like or was hoping for. My whole point of going relatively hi end was to be able to play these new games cranked up like that. Now, I guess I’m just second guessing my vid card choice.

So that leads me to this.... Should I mod the board and get another 7800gt co, or should I just sell the current card and get a single 1900, or maybe wait a bit for a 7900? I initially considered just going sli, but eventually decided that i would ( be prudent)and just get the 7800gt co, then upgrade in 6 moths or so. I figured one of the next generation, hi end cards would likely be better than any current sli, but now I'm just having trouble waiting. So what would you all recommend? Go mod and sli, or get a single 1900 or 7900 when available? Maybe I’m being too demanding and should just wait for what comes out in 6 months? I mean, I do get lower fps in games like Fear, but they are playable, for the most part. Someone reassure me please. Thanks

well, that was my first option, but the card comes overclocked to 270/1100 and there's not alot of headromm left. The core will go only a few mhz higher. the memorymaxes out about 1200, but that only helps a little, so i leave it at 1150 which seems to run fine. I just got the latest official driver, not sure of the #.

I'd get the X1900 if your planning on upgrading your video card. The 7900 will not beat the X1900 like everyone thought, and I'm a bit disappointed with that. It'll still only have 24 pipes so all it'll be is a die-shrunk 7800GTX with a higher core clock.

But in your sig you say youve got an eVGA 7800GT. When did you purchase it? eVGA has a step-up program that allows you to trade-in your card for a better one.

www.evga.com

But in your sig you say youve got an eVGA 7800GT. When did you purchase it? eVGA has a step-up program that allows you to trade-in your card for a better one.

www.evga.com

I didn't know that. that may be a good option. Thanks. BTW, the rig is only about 6 weeks old.

Slingn it is the card because the score you get in 3D06 is almost all entirely card dependent and you got to have some serious card power above and beyond a 7800GT to run big numbers in that bench and then pump all of it up in games.

You say you have the ultra-D board and it will not do full SLi out of the box so I would go with a single card upgrade that some who chase video card results > think would do the job. You got enough power otherwise especially if you patch the X2 processor and all. Get a bigger vid card.

RGone...

Slingn it is the card because the score you get in 3D06 is almost all entirely card dependent and you got to have some serious card power above and beyond a 7800GT to run big numbers in that bench and then pump all of it up in games.

You say you have the ultra-D board and it will not do full SLi out of the box so I would go with a single card upgrade that some who chase video card results > think would do the job. You got enough power otherwise especially if you patch the X2 processor and all. Get a bigger vid card.

RGone...

Thanks. Yes, i'm leaning toward a new single card. I've read the tutorial on modding the board to sli and it looks easy enough, but i still think I’ll go with a single card. I've been doing a little more research, and I'm starting to think i need to just stick it out and wait at least a few months, after all, I’m not really suffering.

Oh, and what "patch" are you referring to for the x2? I know there is a update on the amd site, but I thought it was for the cool and quite function only. If you have a link to the patch you refer to, that would be great.

Thanks again guys.

My monitor's native res is 1680X1050 and when I run some games at that res, with the details cranked, I don’t get the fps I would like or was hoping for.

Slingn, not to be an butt, but I think it's your monitor's native resolution that's helping to hold you back. Sure that 7800 GT can handle it, but with all details cranked, that's asking alot. Take FEAR for example, lots of shadowing, lots of textures, and dynamic lighting. At 1600x1200, your card will be challenged. Most 7800GT reviews that i have read usually use a resolution of 16x12 and the frames are not much >75 fps with high details. One thing that SLI was to help with was running at resolutions >16x12. Before tearing evrything apart or buying new equipment, try lowering the monitor resolution for gaming. Or wait till the new 7900's come out.

agreed Sailindawg. thats a challenging res for that card. even if you are waiting a couple of months for an upgrade or whatever, turn your res down to 1280x1024 and i bet you can run 4xaa and 8xaf on games and get great FPS. then like you say, maybe get a better single card solution in time. the x1900 will drop in price over the next months and you can still get good second hand value for your 7800gt.

BTW when you said your memory timings were stock, have you set them or are you running them on AUTO. that OCZ stuff should give great timings (2-2-2-5)without you having to OC or up volts and that should give you at least some performance gains. if you need any help setting timings post back and ill step by step you.