A little disapointed and looking for upgrade opinions

Slingn

For high standard resolutions 1600x1200 for example, I would not expect the 7800 GT to post good fps with max quality settings. The 7800 GT has four less texture pipelines than a GTX and underclocked timings as well. For current cards the 7800 GTX 512 posts good numbers and of course the ATI x1900 (nearly all mfg's) post excellent numbers at high res.

That post about the trade-in program sounds like a very good idea to me...

I notice you have an eVGA card. They have a stepup program where within 90 days of purchase you can return and upgrade your video card for a newer one and only pay the difference in price. So I would recommend trading your GT in for a GTX. Then when the 7900's come out trade that one in and get a 7900GTX. Thats probably your best bet.

And I agree also, I'm just asking too much out of the card. Which is why I’m disappointed in myself for saving a couple hundred dollars on a video card, and thinking I’d be happy until I could upgrade. But at the time, the 1900’s were not released, and the 512 gtx’s were either unavailable, or completely insane in their asking price. Then discontinued. I just couldn’t justify it. This card looked like a great deal because of its hi factory overclock and great reviews. I guess it actually is.

Still, it will probably work out best. And I can certainly play at those other resolutions in pretty much full glory. It does look great, but I just hate to stretch an image, and I hate to waste screen even more. But I guess the monitor does scale very nicely, so its probably just best to live with it as long as I can, and I’ll end up with a much better deal on a much better card in the long run. Maybe take advantage of that trade up program.. You know, I’m like everyone else; I just want it all now. I should be too old for that attitude, but then again, I play video games with my kids, and their friends. (And I still get mad when I lose)

As to my memory, it’s stock speed and timings are 250 / 3-4-3-8. And by God it likes them there. It will not boot at even 3-3-3-8. I’ve tried it at 2.6, .7, & .8 volts. I haven’t really spent a ton of time experimenting, but I have tried some various settings I picked up reading these forums, and also by using the oc guide, I did run it up to 269mhz at those timings before it got memtest errors. I haven’t tried yet, but I ve also read that it does very tight timings @ lower speeds. When I get some more time, and a better HSF, I’ll do some tweaking and testing, and settle in on some better settings.

but I just hate to stretch an image, and I hate to waste screen even more.

Slingn , I have a 21 inch Sony CRT that I use widescreen format resolutions all the time for gaming. I need to adjust the top and bottom down so that things don't look stretched. I like the narrower widescreen pull down because it gives more of a sense of horizon, than a full monitor screen. I usually run 1280x768 or 1024x768 (@ 120 refresh rate and the monitor sees it as 16x10 widescreen pulldown). Give it a try.

what games are you having trouble playing?

None, I just want to play them at a pretty high widescreen resolution ( 1680X1050) and I'm a little disappointed that it's just beyond the grasp of my current card. Which is entirely my fault because I should have known. Actually, I guess i really did, but at the time, there were no 1900's and this card had stellar reviews showing it to be about 95% of a 256 meg GTX card. The 512 meg version gtx, which reviewed great, was basically unavailable and then discontinued. I really should have just waited a month back then, but I needed to buy some new "office" stuff before the end of year. And don’t get me wrong, it is a great card. I’m not whining because I “Think” it should perform better . I think it’s performing exactly as it should.

I was just flirting with the idea of modding this board and going sli with another of these cards. Figure that would put me over the top for what I want to do. ( at least for this latest round of games) BTW, I believe this GT CO model is now discontinued. There is a new GT CO SE model where they backed off of the factory overclock a tad. Perhaps, 470 was a little too ambitious. I know there is very little headroom beyond that on my card.

Anyway, I think I’ve pretty much decided to stick it out for a couple or three months and see what's available then. Hopefully, unless this Vegas trip goes really bad, I’ll be able to get the latest hottest single card. It's a pretty safe bet that will be better and faster than if I had two gts in sli. In the meantime, I guess I’ll have to just struggle thru with what I got. Oh poor me. ;)

Oh, and Thanks for the link Case, I’m checking it out now. Honestly, I haven’t had any of the issues they describe. Like I mentioned above, everything seems to be running pretty well, and the few benchmarks I’ve run all seem to indicate that its right on par, even slightly above to comparable systems.

@ Inphared:

The eVGA Step-UP program only allows you to make one trade during the course of the whole program. Not sure if a new "program" is implimented once you purchase a new card, but my guess is no.

Just something to keep in mind.