problems?

Hello,

i want to buy a DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D

but i have read that there are many problems...

the RAMs wont work, the BIOS has too many functions and options, the northbridge Cooler has a bad position...

Is it right and can you recomment this mainboard to me?

Is my power supply good enough ? :

beQuiet P5-370W-S1.3

Power +12V 27A

Power +5V 37A

Power +3.3V 30A

Total Power 420W

Guest thespin

No. Your power supply is inadequate. See:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ht=rgone+sticky

The Ultra-D mobo is the one used to set OC world records. They are great boards. They are not for the faint of heart or those unwilling to put in the work necessary to learn how to use them. However, all the information you need is availabl on this forum. Start reading and learning ...

The DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D is one of the finest motherboards I have ever used, and I have used lots. The vast majority of problems you will find described, are in fact operator error, where instructions are not followed, or the OS has become unstable. Buy with confidence, knowing that you will have the toughest MB ever made.

If you want to get awesome overclocks, then this is the board for you. However, your comment about too many functions in the bios seems to indicate you want an "easy" board. The Ultra-D is rock solid but not easy; you have to feed it the proper ram and enough juice. You might want to search the forum for your ram compatibility.

I've had my Ultra-D for about four months now and couldn't be happier. I've used MSI, ABIT, GIGABYTE etc. in the past, but I'm glad I went out on a limb and decided to give the DFI a chance. Here's some thoughts I posted in another thread.

"About 99.9% of the problems people have setting up their DFI motherboards fall into one or more of the following catagories;

1. Low grade value RAM

2. Non-compliant or non-compatible power supply

3. Didn't read and follow the build guide

4. Didn't read and follow the OS install guide

5. Didn't research the stock speed database to find good BIOS and memory settings to use as a starting point

6. Using outdated drivers or BIOS

7. Haven't plugged ALL of the motherboard power connectors in

8. Have neither the time nor patience to properly build and configure the rig

9. Trying to install OS with more than one hard drive or one RAID array connected to the m/b

I think I've about covered them all. If you pay attention to the little details before and during your build, most users have 100% success rates and are VERY happy with their DFI purchase. This coming from someone who has used motherboards from every manufacturer on the planet (and was a sworn MSI guy before buying my first DFI)

EDIT: One more I forgot;

10. Trying the first boot with USB mouse, keyboard or storage device connected to the 'puter."

wevsspot hit it on the head.

The only hitch I ran into was my very first boot. I forgot to set optimized defaults in BIOS and it didnt boot the first few times. So i got to looking around and found the board shipped at 250MHz and 1.425*113%, and some other weird memory timings. I think my proc would have handled the OC but my ram most definately will not. So my problem falls under #1 and #3

Other than defective mobo(not likely) I don't see anything not on wevsspot's list as having more than a .01% chance of causing any problems.

First thank you for your fast and detailed informations.

So you say the nF4 Ultra-D is really stable if you do everything right?

What do you mean with this ?

>>9. Trying to install OS with more than one hard drive or one RAID array connected to the m/b<<

do you mean a RAID system is bad and you only can use one hard drive (only one totally or only for the OS? the sentence is a little bit confusing...)

What is the problem of my power supply?

the 420W instead of 480W?

What do you think about the Enermax Liberty 500W?

I havent found it really on your list but its cheap(er) and has good abilities (2x 12V:22A)

but what about this:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...Enermax+Liberty

During the initial install it's very important that you only have one hard drive or one RAID array set up. If you try and do this;

160gb hard drive channel 1, 80gb hard drive channel 2

or

160gb hard drive master, 80gb hard drive slave

or

RAID array, 80gb hard drive

Windows always wants to put your boot files on the "extra" hard drive.

If you are going to build with just a single hard drive, don't worry about the advice. If you will eventually have two hard drives, say one for OS and one for back up or media files, wait to install the secondary hard drive until you have Windows up and running.