Random Locks and Stuttering in Games

This just started happening. The only thing I changed on my system was I installed a Razor Copperhead mouse, I even uninstalled the drivers, and cleaned em up and I still get the stuttering. I reset defaults, made sure everything was right in the BIOS.

Saved all my defaults in the CMOS reload. Gets the stuttering in BF2, where the screen just seems to loop a sound, and freeze the frame, even got it using the iTMS.

I am at a loss as to what to check on my machine. It went prime stable and runs through all the benchies fine. Just seems to be random.

I am at a loss as to what to do. Any thoughts?

use partition magic to make a new partition and put windows on it, see if it still has issues. If they go away then backup your stuff and reformat.

I come from the frame of mind where reformatting when changing out hardware is a good thing, it might not mean so much with XP, but it's definitely worth a shot. I see a ton of problem posts on these forums that are caused by people who just need to reformat.

-joe

well... since you just installed your new mouse, and your system primes ok etc, then i would say your mouse or related drivers are causing your problem. try reinstalling your old mouse to see if the problem persists. if it does then i would suggest you changed or lost something when you updated/cleaned your drivers.

Or it could be the game having problems with your new mouse.

For example, sometimes World of Warcraft (WoW) exhibits stuttering problems with nVidia cards and certain mice. It's documented on their website in their support forums.

For stability while gaming, may I suggest you use the PS2 ports for both your mouse and keyboard. While I cannot prove it, I just don't trust Microsoft or vendor USB drivers.

Furthermore, I believe USB drivers, especially those that "accelerate" the port speed, cause more problems than they cure ... but I could be wrong here, it wouldn't be the first time.

Anyway, I don't have stuttering problems while playing WoW on dual nVidia cards and never have, BUT I use the PS2 ports and have disabled all USB connections in the BIOS in my gaming rig.

Understandable. This was a 3 week old formatt. Memory is fine and stable. Already tested that.

I uninstalled the mouse drivers AFTER this issue happened. Been using the mouse as a simple USB mouse. My previous mouse was a logitech USB mouse, of same quality, I am even using the razor lazer at the same DPI as the logitech.

I will try switching to PS2 before formatting. I also lost the ability to use my Marvell LAN on this board, it will not recognize my cable when it is plugged in. Although the Nvidia lan works, as well as a linksys 10/100 pci card I installed.

I would think this was a GPU issue if I did not get this kind of stuttering while also watching videos on the iTMS, unless the GPU is driving these videos also.

If all else fails of course, I will do another formatt.

I am running my system at a config, all stock, that was prime stable for 23.5 hrs, just shy of having a stock speed entry. It even did well OC to 2.6ghz and I have an entry for that.

Tonight when I get home, I will try these suggestions, and maybe a formatt.

Well, I think I found out what it was. DRAM Drive strength and Data Strength. I had set these options to settings other than default, and had forgotten about it. Put them back to Auto and everything seems fine. I even reinstalled the Razor drivers, everything played great this weekend. Can play BF2 while running BOIN in the background.

Woot, will keep testing her to be sure. I remember playing with these settings cause I was trying to get a good stable DDR500 setting.

BTW does anyone have any ideas what I need my values to be for these settings?

Usually for high capacity modules it should be a strong setting.

What have you tried so far?

...Drive... Level 8

...DATA... Level 3

I think I was using Drive = 6

Date = 00% which I think is 2.

I will try these new ones, I was just trying to get my ram to scale up 1/1 with my cpu oc, so I could see how far I could push the both of them.