Stability Issues

New build that I just got up and running. However, when I was doing XP updates last night, the system crashed due to stability issues. I booted back to a safe point and re-ran the updates that didn't carry over. XP mentioned the stability issue again but did not crash. Any thoughts as to what the issue here was? Also, will this pose a problem at a later date? And lastly, how can I fix this issue?

On a unrelated note, how can I speed up the boot and shut down times safely without overclocking. I will be OC-ing soon but would like to optimize first. Thoughts?

I Have Noticed That There Are Some Threads Regarding Memtest And Updating The Bios. Could Someone Please Provide Simple Directions For Both These Activities? I Am Rather New To This Whole Concept And I Don't Want To Screw Up My Pc. I Have Already Installed Windows Xp And Updated All Of The Drivers And Updates For All My Components. Will Updating The Bios Effect Any Of This? Will This Pose A Problem? How About Memtest? Is There Anything Else That I Should Do To Increase The Stability/quality Of My System? Again, Please Provide Simple Directions. Thanks For All The Help.

I Have Noticed That There Are Some Threads Regarding Memtest And Updating The Bios. Could Someone Please Provide Simple Directions For Both These Activities? Again, Please Provide Simple Directions. Thanks For All The Help.

Here is the info on your bios flash http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22031

im not sure what your saying about the mem test. Its in your bios under genie settings at the bottom.

there is also a program prime 95 that will test system stability in a windows environment. (google)

I hope this helped :)

as far as im aware, boot times rely heavily on your HDD seek times so the only way to see GOOD decreases in boot time is setup RAID 0 or get a better HDD. i think there are some tweaks that provide some gains but dont know anything about them

Here's a link to your first thread with Memtest step by step.

Pay attention to post #7.

I suggest before you start Overclocking you make sure and READ the stickied posts and Overclocking guides.

I certainly would advise you against overclocking till you are familiar with such programs as Memtest and other stressing programs.

Cheers.