Sign in to follow this  
bp1019

Chipset fan replacement worth it?

My chipset temps have been running at 55C under load and I don't really like that high of a temp. Does replacing the chipset fan offer good decreases in temps? Would just applying AS5 to the stock fan improve it greatly? Also, I heard that due to the placement there was only one fan that would fit, is this one it: http://jab-tech.com/Evercool-VC-RF-pr-3229.html or is this the wrong one? I would appreciate any help.

Guest thespin

Try the AS5 first; it should help a lot. If not enough, the correct replacement fan is Evercools VC-RE which is smaller ...

You will get a good drop in temps, I say yes it's worth it. We have diff boards but mine dropped my temps alot. I think the VC-RE @ VC-RF are the same size? You may want to check that. my chipset:34c

mine is all stock, 35c, not even AS5 yet. So, I say no, just make sure you have good flow in your case and opt for some nice fans that pull and push more air than standard.

The vc-re was well worth it for me. It only lowered my temps 4 degrees, to 43 degrees idle, and never goes over 50 on load. I have the fan set to come on full at 44 degrees in bios and it hardly ever winds up. It is audible at 6000 rpm, but not even close to as loud as the stock fan.

The vc-re and vc-rf maybe the same height, but are alot different. The vc-rf has spring loaded pushpins and posts alongside the pushpins that interfered with my 7800gtx. If the vc-re is not immediately available at Jabtech, wait for it. Careful with the AS5, it's a small chipset and only takes a tiny bit.

Edit: I'm running Prime95 as I posted this, 2 and a half hrs into it. Speedfan shows it's never gone above 45 degrees, even better now that the AS5 has set up.

mine is all stock, 35c, not even AS5 yet. So, I say no, just make sure you have good flow in your case and opt for some nice fans that pull and push more air than standard.

See, thats kind of the problem. I just put everything in an Aerocool Masstige and since the mobo mounts upside down, the GPU and chipset are at the top of the case (much warmer) which is why my temps are hitting that high. I think I may try to first rig a fan over the chipset and may try moving the GPU. Thnx for all the replies, I had heard mixed things on whether it helps or not so you answered my questions.

See, thats kind of the problem. I just put everything in an Aerocool Masstige and since the mobo mounts upside down, the GPU and chipset are at the top of the case (much warmer) which is why my temps are hitting that high. I think I may try to first rig a fan over the chipset and may try moving the GPU. Thnx for all the replies, I had heard mixed things on whether it helps or not so you answered my questions.

Personally if you put some AS5 under the current one and get some decent airflow around it you'll probably peak around 40C (maybe a bit more) in an average room. I'd also check to make sure that you have enough cool air coming into the case itself, as it can make a large impact.

(By the way I moved this over to the modifications section) :)

...the GPU and chipset are at the top of the case (much warmer) which is why my temps are hitting that high.

I have to disagree with that...in theory the GPU should be cooler in that case...heat rises...so the HSF of the video card facing upwards means better getting-rid-of-heat (kickass technical slang (?) )

Adios :)

I have to disagree with that...in theory the GPU should be cooler in that case...heat rises...so the HSF of the video card facing upwards means better getting-rid-of-heat (kickass technical slang (?) )

Adios :)

Actually, the GPU fan blows in so its pushing in warmer air, the GPU temps are fine, the chipset temps are the bad ones.

I just installed the VC-RE on my motherboard about an hour ago. I was amazed that it decreased my temps by 7°C :)

I actually did the mod to my brothers computer aswell. He has a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum. His chipset fan had gotten so loud I could hear it while I was in my room (no I'm not kidding!) . It was much easier to install for my DFI board :). For his board some modding actually had to be done, but for me it was almost a perfect fit. Just lined it up and popped it in.