Say it ain't so, Microsoft.

ComeUpon

Angry, you by far have some of the longest replys, but they are some pretty good reading. I get what your saying now, and on top of it i got a refresh history leason on nvidia and ati. Good reading!.

Back to the Windows licensing...

I really couldn't care less right now. This has been a clause in the licensing agreement for a long time now. Not only has this never been an issue in the past, but its really not an issue right now. The only time that i will consider this a problem, is if, and only if, Microsoft actually acts on this.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Angry's example of nVidia vs. ATI is spot on. Since the late 90s, I've been wishing for a Linux solution with ease of function that would put MS to task, benefitting consumers all around. This is still not the case (and I haven't seen anything that really shows the promise of doing that).

Where's our ATI? And please don't say Apple...a slick OS based on technology that's even more proprietary than anything developed by Sony. No use to us who aren't in the market for a Dell replacement.

Microsoft is pushing people towards Macs. :P

Not really, but I would move to a Mac platform if they marketed a system even remotely as powerfull has my current desktop for a competitive price. It is a flavor of Unix and I love my Unix systems.

With mac now moving to x86 platforms, how long do u think it will be before people start using them on thier home built pc's?

If MS is serious about this and there was no way around it i would consider OSX. especially if they tried to enforce this on current XP owners.

This seems like a good time for MAC to take advantage of the situation.

I dont know how MS thinks they are goin to keep track of people changing hardware. They said XP was hacker proof HA. :D

Whats to stop someone from calling MS and saying thier mobo died and had to be replaced, when in actuallity it was just upgraded.

Its kinda like now where someone can install a single licensed Windows XP on a few computers and just call to get new numbers and lie to them.

doesn't much matter what microsoft re-releases as information- just more crap reading. as far as their license agreement- on an oem machine- i'd still throw away the disk(s) from dell or hp or whatever- and install my slipstreamed version. I can't stand all the crap that's bundled with it. why do I need 3 jukeboxes, and 2 dvd players, and (hp,dell,or whatever) toolbars. If I needed all that, I might as well join AOL too LOL. (AOL is the devil)

Always better to start fresh- and install only what you want, rather than what they decide you want.

:rolleyes:

QUOTE: "Always better to start fresh- and install only what you want, rather than what they decide you want."

Golly aint that the truth!

MS just wants more money, and also want to 'push' people towards just buying Vista instead of paying for a new XP license. However, they snag people there, by now requiring service packs and update to be PAY FOR. Gah

Sometimes, I just love to reach over and hug my MacOSX... well, ok, everytime I run into a problem with my blasid XP, I hug my MacOSX :D I do everything on the mac, except gaming.

I agree man... Linux is a PITA!! That is why I always do my overclocking and game playing in Windows and I have Linux on another partition to play around with. Once I have it all figured out (Yeah, RIGHT!! LOL!) I'm going to use it for all my secure files and perhaps SOME gaming, but for now I use Windows the majority of the time too... :(

Mandrake, RedHat, SuSe, Ubuntu

while Linux has come a long way over the years, it is still much too complex for 'normal' users (ie 98% of regular windows users).

You can argue this if you want, but it really is pointless because Linux users quickly forget just how complicated it is compared to 'dumbed-down Windows'

When you can install all your OS and drivers and then your games and play them in high res in less than 1 hour (or possibly as long as 2 hours) on any Windows system...thats great

when you install Linux (take your pick of any distro...I've tried 4 major ones, all claiming to be "SUPER EASY!" or "EASIER THAN THE OTHERS!") and then have to fight for up to 12 hours JUST to get your stupid video card drivers installed AND able to do 3d Acceleration...then however many more hours to get the REST of your drivers installed and working properly, then your games (which of course are Windows games...and you have to really root around for a Linux installer or distro or such to get them to work in non-Windows environments)...well...you get my point

and before you think I am stupid or such a noob that I can't figure it out...ask culinist (one of the moderators here) about when he helped me with some Linux...he'll tell ya that I am very intelligent, and able to read/search/follow instructions TO THE LETTER...and still after two nights, neither Nvidia nor ATI cards could allow me to get full 3d acceleration to play the EASILY INSTALLED games like Return To Castle Wolf (Enemy Territory) or Unreal etc that require 3d acceleration before they will even start up.

Now...Don't take any of this the wrong way. I am not meaning it to be rude.

But too many times I get into these discussions with Linux users who scoff or go on a rant about how superior their OS is (I don't deny that at all), or end up calling people who cannot use it "stupid" or "retarded".

I have to say, with a little patting of my own back, that I am smarter than probably most that have joined this forum, and I have more experience than probably all but the top 1% of this forum in doing the things I do with computers...but when I myself get so frustrated with Linux that I bag it for another year (to try again after more refinements), I can GUARANTEE that MAJORITY of users are most definitely NOT going to want to go through the bs and hassle of it just to play the few games that actually can work in Linux without even more bs and hassling and fiddling.

I DO think Linux is a top OS, and I DO think it is superior to windows in every way except one...and that one way, which negates all the good about linux, is it's 'ease of use'.

Because it simply is NOT easy to use unless you have months to learn all about it...and even then, a lot of guys who have YEARS of experience with it will STILL say that is most definitely is NOT easy to use....but it is ultra powerful, secure, and its the best OS they've ever learned.

But you have to think in terms of how I think...which is to think of the most common denominator...and that most commond denom is just not going to be able to do the Linux thing, and those that can figure out how to install it and get it to work, will then be faced with the same hassles that XP-64 users have been faced with...all their best/favorite apps/games/etc from normal WindowsXP just don't work, or require all sorts of fooling-around to get them to work, or they don't work nearly as good, or some other problem.

Now...my intention was not to get into a giant rant about Linux vs Windows. I'm a hater of Windows too...but it is the best user-friendly OS for the MAJORITY...and now MS is just making it more of a hassle =(

This is not a big deal to me anyways.

My copy's I don't have to register.

I think it's funny lol.

Sorry, I don't like that either, but hey, you gotta laugh how ms treats the general public compared to it's corp and dev customers.

Edit:

If you have to, go buy 2kpro, and slip t with the latest ur.

Gotta love deleted posts with neither a PM nor a post saying it was deleted, or a reason..

Sorry I was at work, haven't got to it yet, but if you had read the forum rules it would have been very very obvious that any talk of downloading pirated software is not tolerated. You should not need a notice.

Doesn't this fall under common sense? Sites get closed all the time for this kind of thing. Does anyone really want this to be one of them? I can understand not putting a sig in but bragging about illegal activities on a support site?:confused:

Well I am locking the thread as this seems to be a lightning rod topic. :( There are plenty of sites still open that you can talk about Piracy to your hearts content, this is not one of them.