Sign in to follow this  
Oceanborn

Manchester X2 Can't do 260HTT :-(

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time overclocking my Athlon64 X2 3800+ to 2600MHZ

@2500 it runs rock solid @ 1.40V, when I put 2600mhz it boots into windows fine but as soon as I run prime on both cores a few seconds later windows freezes completely...I tried adding more voltage, until 1.46v but don't wanna go beyond that..frying a dual core CPU is not something I wanna do right now...

I even increased the chipset voltage to 1,6V but that didn't do squat...

If anybody have any suggestions please I'm all eyes....

Have you tried putting your memory on a divider and maxing out the proc? Also what is your LDT set to? Another thing to consider is that X2's are not the best overclocking cpu's. In fact when I had my X2 I could only get 2.55GHz stable, hence the reason I went with the Opty.

I agree with Evancold (except about the X2 not overclocking well, mine is a champ), try turning down your HTT multiplier from 4x to 3x when you go past 250. Also try putting your RAM on a 9/10 divider when you go past 250 so you know it isn't the RAM causing the problem. Also, have you manually set all the timings on your RAM? If you leave any of the settings on AUTO, the BIOS may come up with timings for your RAM that your RAM doesn't like as you change the HTT around.

I failed to mention that the ram was on a divider always when I increase the CPU...I test them individually, I made sure the ram wasn't holding the system back. What is weird to me is that @ 2400mhz I do not even have to increase the CPU voltage AT ALL. It runs fine with the AUTO settings in the BIOS, then I decide to increase the speed another 100mhz and I need a whole 0.1v extra to make it stable I guess I will try 1.5v to see if that will do....

thanks a lot guys

The real key here is your temps - my X2 3800 really flies but only when I put on the juice - See my sig.

I keep my LDT voltage at 1.3 and chipset at 1.6 - both of which are 0.1v over standard - Just to make sure , LDT at 1.4 helps with the OC but plays hell with my PWM temps - even actively cooled.

You can easily up the Vcore as high as 1.65 IF you can keep it cool. I run 1.375 * 123% 24/7 but my temps never go over 48c even double priming.

So the question still is - what temps are you running?

Idle @ 34C and load with dual prime @ 45

Like I said, it does't seem to be a temperature issue because it happens as soon as I start the dual instances of prime95 or to be torough, 2 seconds after, so I don't think the cpu gets all that hot to lock the system up, plus I reached higher temperatures than this when I had a zalman cnps7000b on it before...It maybe not enough voltage...i just find it odd the CPU going from 2.4 with no voltage need at all, to 2.5 to 1.4v and now when I'm trying 2.6 1.45v doesn't seem to cut it....anyway, I'm gonna try 1.5v to see if that helps....

thanks guys

I agree with you about it not being a heat issue (but check your PWM IC temps - I fail prime when they go above 48c so I rigged a fan for constant active cooling) but the temps do show that you have got some wiggle room on the voltage side. You should be safe* as long as you can keep the temps under 50c.

* Blah Blah legal disclaimer about losing warranty and blowing up your PC whenever you overvolt by even 0.00001v :nod:

When I first looked into OC'ing X2's one of the reviews/guides I read (don't remember which one unfortunately) commented specifically on that phenomena. They noted that the X2's were great at stock or just a smidgen above for an easy 5-10% bump but that the faster you pushed them the bigger the voltage bumps required. Thats what happened with me and it looks like you are seeing the same thing.