Sign in to follow this  
Paaco

Raid 0 not showing correct in xp64 setup

I'm trying to set up 2 Seagate Barracuda 200 gig Drives as a Raid 0 in my system. I go through the guide that AG has on his site and have done so 4 times now with same result. It shows one big healthy 372 gig Harddrive once I set up the array in Nvidias tool by hitting F10. Even shows up as one drive in the Bios "SCSI-0 : Nvidia Stripe 372.62G" Once I get into Windows 64 setup to where you pick a drive to install on however they show up as 2 seperate drives. Anyone have an idea what I may be doing Wrong?

I'm trying to set up 2 Seagate Barracuda 200 gig Drives as a Raid 0 in my system. I go through the guide that AG has on his site and have done so 4 times now with same result. It shows one big healthy 372 gig Harddrive once I set up the array in Nvidias tool by hitting F10. Even shows up as one drive in the Bios "SCSI-0 : Nvidia Stripe 372.62G" Once I get into Windows 64 setup to where you pick a drive to install on however they show up as 2 seperate drives. Anyone have an idea what I may be doing Wrong?

did you hit F6 and load the RAID floppy drivers (mass storage and the raid driver)?

Yes Sir, followed your guide to the T. I've set up raids before and never had trouble. So not sure where this one is going wrong.

hrmmm

do me a favor and first look in the bios to make sure that the hdd boot priority shows an Nvidia stripe and not two separate hdd's

and if it is correct, try regular Windows XP (not the 64-bit junk)

HDD Boot priority shows the drive as "SCSI-0 : Nvidia Stripe 372.62G"

ok then try normal 32-bit windows not that 64-bit crap (I've fought 64bit XP many a time with RAID and I hate it so much and it does nothing but give me problem after problem after problem to the point where i still refuse to use it at all...it is totally unecessary)

*sigh* I have a really good post somewhere in the Recommendations section about why 64-bit windows should be avoided and why it is totally useless (and I'll add here that MS is not focused on Windows XP 64 at all...they are practically ignoring it for Windows Vista, and that means all the hardware mfg's and driver writers are practically ignoring it and focusing on driver updates for Vista 64 bit also)

np, let me know

im off the comp in a few probably so if i dont give you the fast answer don't panic someone else will give ya some help (its almost 11pm here and I am ready to spend time with momma

As we were talking I was burning an XP64 CD I slipstreamed with drivers off of the DFI website. Oddly enough by using those drivers, instead of the ones on the floppy the drive shows up right in setup. So if anyone else with the same Motherboard is me has a similiar problem, give that a shot. Raid Drivers

I don't know where it went wrong, but I've set up stripe and mirror arrays on x64 with 2 Seagate 250's and 2 Seagate 160 both sata, many times and never had an issue. Are your drives sata or ide and where did you get the f6 64 bit raid drivers?

I got it fixed now. Slipstreamed Windows with the drivers off of dfi.com and it worked =) I've set up a few raids myself and thats the first problem like that I have run into. Was a strange one for sure.