Sign in to follow this  
baaj

CPU Cooler advice

Any of you out there using the Blue Orb II? Any noticable drop in temps? I've read some reviews, but it helps to know how they work in the real world.

I originally wanted to get the Zalman CNPS9500, but Zalman isn't available in the market here.

My temps are excellent right now with the AMD stock cooler, but that'll surely change once I OC and the hot hot Shanghai summer.

Look at the Thermaltake Big Typhoon or Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, both of those are great coolers.

http://www.svc.com/xp90-ret-21.html (comes with fan)

or

http://www.svc.com/xp-90-21.html

+

http://www.svc.com/92zalzm.html

(or the Panaflo 92mm fans)

I realize you can't buy from here since you live in China, but it's more of a 'which type' thing so you can maybe find them locally

basically any fan except the "Tornado" or "Delta" fans are good fans...because the Tornado/Delta fans are so crazy loud and powerful that they are simply not necessary

Thanks.

I just read a review of the AM2 platform and I'm now looking for the most bang for the buck on a cooler, as the current coolers won't fit the new 4 pin mounting scheme, (without some serious modding) whenever the time comes to upgrade. The thermalright looks good, despite that it's not copper.

Thanks.

I just read a review of the AM2 platform and I'm now looking for the most bang for the buck on a cooler, as the current coolers won't fit the new 4 pin mounting scheme, (without some serious modding) whenever the time comes to upgrade. The thermalright looks good, despite that it's not copper.

you need to get the whole myth out of your head that COPPER IS BEST

because while it is truly good, and might possibly even be the best...if the difference between it and a good aluminum cooler is 1C or 2C...then I honestly don't consider it to be the best

people think that just because it is copper that is is automatically better...yet I've tested the XP-90C and the XP-90 aluminum and the aluminum is better for the simple fact that it weighs probably less than half what the copper version does...and cools EXACTLY the same in my testing ;)

and is about $10-$20 US dollars cheaper (which might be a significant amount of yuan...)

Lighter? So what.... what is with everyone and worrying about the 'weight' of the cpu cooler? I really don't get it! :P Someone please tell me the significance behind ths....

the diff weight in copper vs aluminium is not that much of a deal i think, but the diff between thermaltake bigtyphoon and stock heatsink, for example, is pretty big.

mount it incorrectly, and the heatsink base of a heavy hsf will be tilted by a few degree instead of going flat against the cpu heatsink.

this will negate any lapping effort and will increase the temp by a few degree in a worst case scenario.

so i guess its not THAT significant (ive yet to see a mobo that crack or broken by having a too heavy hsf), but being most of us here overclocks, having 5-6 degree diff can make a big difference in oc result ;)

btw, wth is an Asus owner bouncing around here? good god, next time we know, theres gonna be Aopen owner running around :P

(jk ;) )

lets say you have a very heavy copper XP-90...and you mount it while the board is flat yes?

and ok already with the mounting pressure, it is putting a good amount of stress on the motherboard pcb

now you put the board in a case and set it upright...now you have this giant, heavy copper block that is already stressing the heck out of the pcb with it's weight while sitting flat...now it is basically just 'hanging' from the board/mounts...creating a hell of a lot more stress

and for 1C better cooling?

naw, I'd rather go with the aluminum which is probably less than half the weight and take a 1C penalty ;)

Sign in to follow this