What is the best RAM you would reccomend for gaming and OCing?

vertigofm

OCZ PC4000 EL Gold (Samsung UCCC...same stuff as the Gskill and Mushkin, will do 250 @ 3-4-8-4 and many will do 260+)

OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 3-3-7-2 (might be labeled 3-3-8-2 but will do 3-3-7-2 @ 250 for sure for me and many others, and most will go 265+ @ 3-3-8-2, 2.6v)

OCZ PC4000 GXC (basically the 4000EL with Samsung UCCC but timings are 3-4-7-4 or 3-4-7-3 and will easily do 250-270 @ 3-4-8-4)

we have a couple of OCZ reps in this forum and no Gskill nor Mushkin reps so thats why I always recommend OCZ ;)

But that doesn't really tell me whether OCZ is better or not, does it?

OCZ PC4000 EL Gold (Samsung UCCC...same stuff as the Gskill and Mushkin, will do 250 @ 3-4-8-4 and many will do 260+)

OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 3-3-7-2 (might be labeled 3-3-8-2 but will do 3-3-7-2 @ 250 for sure for me and many others, and most will go 265+ @ 3-3-8-2, 2.6v)

OCZ PC4000 GXC (basically the 4000EL with Samsung UCCC but timings are 3-4-7-4 or 3-4-7-3 and will easily do 250-270 @ 3-4-8-4)

we have a couple of OCZ reps in this forum and no Gskill nor Mushkin reps so thats why I always recommend OCZ ;)

I know it is expensive, but you just can't compare that to the Mushkin Ram:

XP4000 - SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency: 500MHz Latency: 3-3-2-8 Parity: Unbuffered

Voltage: 2.6V-2.9V Pins: 184

Density > > > Module: 128MX64 Chip: 64MX8

The XP4000 REDLINE eliminates the memory as a potential bottleneck when overclocking. Mushkin 2GB-XP4000 Redline parts are 2x1GB dual channel kits designed for operation at 250MHz with relatively tight timings of 3-3-2-8(Cas 3, trcd 3, trp 2, and tras 8). Operating at a nominal voltage of 2.6-2.9v, unlike previous Redline modules which require high voltage for rated specification, these modules operate under standard voltages.

what u quoted said it runs fine at 2.6. most people here runs their DDR500 ocz at 2.6/2.7 jsut as posted in their site. just like mushkin they are running at the same voltage.

why cant u compare that to the mushkin?

imo, thy have the same performance. all that AG is saying we have a few OCZ reps so its easier to have support. not that OCZ is better.

OCZ - 1, Mushkin - 0. :)

and just like some people advices, if u wanna go mushkin, the performance series is just as good. little lower timing, but u wont notice that in games :P

what u quoted said it runs fine at 2.6. most people here runs their DDR500 ocz at 2.6/2.7 jsut as posted in their site. just like mushkin they are running at the same voltage.

why cant u compare that to the mushkin?

imo, thy have the same performance. all that AG is saying we have a few OCZ reps so its easier to have support. not that OCZ is better.

OCZ - 1, Mushkin - 0. :)

and just like some people advices, if u wanna go mushkin, the performance series is just as good. little lower timing, but u wont notice that in games :P

Yeah but the latency is generally lower, and read the reviews here:

http://www.barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/revie...00/xp4000_1.htm

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Sp...ArticleId=15912

From what I have heard from people owning both- and from Newegg user

reviews, it appears the Mushkin generally gets better OC's at lower latencies/voltage

yeah they have about the same oc results with OCZ platinum series wit lower volts, but good god, look at that price! do u really need that high of a bandwidth? look at the stickies at the overclocking forum, having faster memory bandwidth do jack-crap in performance. the best is to have tightest timing. how high do u wanna overclock anyway?

i say get a $200 kit and put a divider on it. why spend $100 more on an extra 50points on 3dmark05? :P

just tryin to save ya some monay, bud'!

yeah they have about the same oc results with OCZ platinum series wit lower volts, but good god, look at that price! do u really need that high of a bandwidth? look at the stickies at the overclocking forum, having faster memory bandwidth do jack-crap in performance. the best is to have tightest timing. how high do u wanna overclock anyway?

i say get a $200 kit and put a divider on it. why spend $100 more on an extra 50points on 3dmark05? :P

just tryin to save ya some monay, bud'!

The timings on that ram are pretty damn good for PC 4000... As a matter of fact, It would be hard to find PC 4000 ram with better timings and the ability to use voltage...

I mean, do you think I'd be able to crank those mushkins I bought up to 3.1V without it getting too hot? How high do u crank yours?

I know it is expensive, but you just can't compare that to the Mushkin Ram:

XP4000 - SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency: 500MHz Latency: 3-3-2-8 Parity: Unbuffered

Voltage: 2.6V-2.9V Pins: 184

Density > > > Module: 128MX64 Chip: 64MX8

The XP4000 REDLINE eliminates the memory as a potential bottleneck when overclocking. Mushkin 2GB-XP4000 Redline parts are 2x1GB dual channel kits designed for operation at 250MHz with relatively tight timings of 3-3-2-8(Cas 3, trcd 3, trp 2, and tras 8). Operating at a nominal voltage of 2.6-2.9v, unlike previous Redline modules which require high voltage for rated specification, these modules operate under standard voltages.

lol

it is people like you who PT Barnum was talking about

guess what, I'll fill ya in on a little secret that you maybe don't know about since Marketing has apparently brainwashed you into spouting nonsense as truth

the Redline 3-3-8-2 is the same IC used in the OCZ PC4000EB

same

Infineon based IC's

they are the same

built practically the same (almost always teh same since both companies use almost identical pcb)

The XP4000 REDLINE eliminates the memory as a potential bottleneck when overclocking

hahahahhahahahahahaha

wahahahahahahahahah

hehe

hehehehe

lol

*whew*

hehehe

giggle

wahahahahahaha

*ahem*

anyway *giggle some more lol*

hehe

thats just funny

Marketing does a good job if you are convinced that Mushkin's Redline is the best in the world when in reality is no different than the OCZ PC4000EB and any other memory that uses the same IC's

;)

But that doesn't really tell me whether OCZ is better or not, does it?

there's no such thing as BETTER when they are identical

and here's a rule you should start repeating to yourself because it is a rule we preach pretty heavily here

THERE IS NO "BEST"

THERE IS ONLY WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU

"Marketing does a good job if you are convinced that Mushkin's Redline is the best in the world when in reality is no different than the OCZ PC4000EB and any other memory that uses the same IC's "

GRRRR to mushkin's false advertising - at least OCZ dont pretend their sticks do 270+Mhz.

Zoomee=duped mushkin n00b.