Sign in to follow this  
hokie2x

Temps too Low

I downloaded mbm5 and followed installation guide from the thread.

Now, it is cold in my room, but it seems that 25C idle and 36C with prime95 running is too low. Everything is at stock speeds for now (ram gets here this afternoon).

Do I have a faulty sensor?

Chipset is running at 44C, and i didn't have chance to set up the GPU sensor before i had to leave in the morning.

good to see a fellow hokie around. class of '03 myself.

as far as your temps go, those temps seem about right at stock speeds for the x2 3800. that's about what mine was reporting as well. the cpu fan was barely running at all on mine while at stock. once you up the voltage and the speed a little bit, you'll notice the temperature jump.

Do not, I repeat do not trust software and motherboard sensors to give you real temps. They are so far off it hurts. This isn't just with DFI but with most motherboards. Didn't you ever wonder how with a DFI board that the temps jumps 10C instantly and drops instantly when the load is applied and removed. The reality is that the temps climb pretty slow and usually reach the first peak about two minutes into prime and when the load is removed the temp drops very slow and usually takes up to five minutes to get back down near the point they started at. I use a laser thermometer to check all of my temps and I have a set of probes for my fluke 87 for hard point temp monitoring. I really want to know what the chip is doing and not just a software estimate.

And no there is almost no way your chip will idle at 25C think about it, applied voltage at idle will create more heat then most room temps.

@vrodforums With all due respect, man...

bull crap!!! It's straight individual for each rig/cpu/cooler. Depends exclusively on your cooler and airflow inside the case. And, yes - MBM reports perfectly on any DFI NF4 board I've tested, this means at least 50 mobos. The difference between sensors and reality is no more than a degree. I can show screenies of my old [email protected] and the [email protected] with the Sonic Tower. The P4 couldn't drop to idle temps for about 10 mins w/ a 120mm fan @ 1000rpm. And the 144UP does it within a minute ! With a 120mm fan @ 560rpm... period. So - it's individual!

@vrodforums With all due respect, man...

bull crap!!! It's straight individual for each rig/cpu/cooler. Depends exclusively on your cooler and airflow inside the case. And, yes - MBM reports perfectly on any DFI NF4 board I've tested, this means at least 50 mobos. The difference between sensors and reality is no more than a degree. I can show screenies of my old [email protected] and the [email protected] with the Sonic Tower. The P4 couldn't drop to idle temps for about 10 mins w/ a 120mm fan @ 1000rpm. And the 144UP does it within a minute ! With a 120mm fan @ 560rpm... period. So - it's individual!

So your telling me that my fluke 87, my fluke 23 and my digital laser that all agree on the same temp are all incorrect and that my motherboard that cost less than any of the three of them is correct (keep in mind I have three DFI boards and one of them the temps are different from the other two by over 10C using the exact same cpu and cooler on the bench without a case at all) ? I just want to know how my xp90C can read 40C at the base with a screw in probe and yet my cpu reads 27C at the same time using the bios or MBM. I also want to know how a cpu and a 1.5 pound block of copper can go from 35-45C almost instantly to room temperature and don't tell me your 120mm fan does the job. I strongly suggest you use some other form of measurement to verify your temps. Or go on as you have been and believe what ever your bios or MBM tell you.

Something like this

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=92350

Might solve some problems? Cheap enough and i'm sure its accurate enough. Maybe i'll pick one up and answer a question instead of asking them.

EDIT:

I was looking around some more, and just bought this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=91778

I do a lot of work on my own car and friends too. Plus I'm an engineer and always wanted one of these thingies. I'm sure it'll work for OC'ing too.

Ok, I'm not going to argue with you! But!

I know what the probes between the IHS and the cooler base measure, I compare it with MBM5 and correct the ini files. DON'T tell me I'm doing it wrong! I measure with the probe, NOT with software! And what does 10C difference mean?! I'd RMA the board instantly - it's not functioning as is supposed. If you think that a pound and a half of ALUMINUM with a ~9900cm2 surface is difficult to cool down - man, you have a problem with physics!

No offence, peace man!

So your going to tell me that 1.5 pounds of aluminum (since I run all copper) is going to cool down 10-15C in less then five seconds at ambient air temp because you have a 120mm fan on it? :) How many others notice the instant drop in temps when loads are removed using the motherboards sensor? How many of you notice the instant climb in temps by as much as 10-15C when a load is applied? Remember it also takes time to heat the mass of aluminum or copper as well. How many of you really think that is a good reading? :)

To be honest, i did think it was a little wierd that the temp would jump that fast. I figured that was just the temp on the chip (didn't know how it was measured). The chip could heat up that fast, while the heatsink is still heating.

I don't know where or how its measured, so maybe i'll just water for my laser thermometer. :rolleyes:

vrodforums,

I agree 100% with your comments. I didn't test lots of DFI boards, but after the short circuit of the audio karajan and the mobo I needed to replace it.

After replace with the exact same components the same thermal paste applyed by me, twice in each one at least I now have 10C less than the previous mobo.

The only thing changed is maybe the mobo version.

Another problem is, the idle temps on the first one were quite accurate,and MBM5 was reading the same values as BIOS. With the new one not only the 10C difference in BIOS but MBM5 and Smartguardian reads 5C bellow the BIOS, so almost 15C difference.

Go check another mobo manufacturers forums and see the temps of the 3800 X2.

Mostof them are higher than the DFIs, and I doubt there is a major real difference in temps between mobos.

My cooler is a 700grams of pure cooper and the temps drops so fast that sometimes I don't have time to checkthem when exiting Counter-strike Source. These 2 seconds are enough to change the temps at least 8 C, it can't be true.

Just for reference (check the sig):

Room temp: 26~29

Idle Temp in BIOS: 34

Idle Temp Smartguardian and MBM5: 29

Load Temp Smartguardian and MBM5: Dual Prime Torture: 53; CS Source: 49

Marcelo