Sign in to follow this  
tweak50

Third party mail client

I'm looking for a good free/cheap third party mail client.

Right now I am using microsoft office outlook and it just isnt working for me. I dont know what it is but it will download my gmail mail just fine, but my schools mail downloads at a very...very slow speed. I'm talking about a byte a minute. I tried thunderbird, but it would only let me set one outgoing server at a time.

What other programs have you guys used? Or can you suggest anything that might fix the problems im currently having?

I'm looking for a good free/cheap third party mail client.

Right now I am using microsoft office outlook and it just isnt working for me. I dont know what it is but it will download my gmail mail just fine, but my schools mail downloads at a very...very slow speed. I'm talking about a byte a minute. I tried thunderbird, but it would only let me set one outgoing server at a time.

What other programs have you guys used? Or can you suggest anything that might fix the problems im currently having?

But did Thunderbird at least download your school email ok?

yeah it downloaded my school email fine, and gmail fine also. It's a great program dont get me wrong, but it would only let me set one out going server, saying that haveing two was for advanced users only. This caused some confusion to the people recieving my emails.

What version of Outlook are you using?

I seem to recall having issues with some older versions but I haven't had a single issue with Outlook 2003 SP2 + Updates.

Also, do you have a separate profile for each email account or do you check all your meail servers in the default profile?

I'm just throwing things out that could possibly make a difference.

I just checked for updates and I have them all.

And all of my email servers are checked in a default profile.

I just dont get why it started doing this, it worked fine for a couple of days?

Pine is another good one, this is an oldschool unix command line type of program which is used in such programs as PuTTy. It allows the usage of SSH which is nice. I wouldn't recommend this over the ones mentioned if you like pictures and a pretty GUI as PINE is text based.

Wow...Pine....now there is a classic blast from the past.

All of the above are good. You also have your standard clients that come with some browsers (Netscape and Mozilla). My favorite is Evolution...but unfortunately that is not for Windows. It is an email client for Linux that even allows you to connect to an Exchange server.