Sign in to follow this  
walste

Can the most FX60 hit 3GHz

I have the money to buy the FX60

so now i wonder how the FX60 oc is.

Do u guys think i can hit 3GHz if a buy the FX60?

I dont want no comment like, "go for the opteron 165 bla bla bla"

I have the money to buy the FX60

so now i wonder how the FX60 oc is.

Do u guys think i can hit 3GHz if a buy the FX60?

I dont want no comment like, "go for the opteron 165 bla bla bla"

a lot of people are hitting 3.0 with optys though

a lot of people are hitting 3.0 with optys though

I have had the opty 146 running in 3GHz.

but what i heard, the late dual core optys dont oc well

You aren't going to see a noticeable performance increase from the 4800+ at 2.8GHz to the FX-60 at 3.0Ghz. If you've really got $1,000 burning a whole in your pocket, pickup two 7800GTX's and run them in SLI. Unless you don't actually do any gaming, in which case I have to wonder what you plan on doing with your exceptionally expensive processor?

If you don't care about gaming and just love OC'ing, then I would recommend picking up a nice water cooling kit or think about trying out phase change cooling. I think you'll probably see more of a performance gain from OC'ing your 4800+ with great cooling than you will a FX-60 on air cooling. And if you accidentally burn out your CPU while pushing through 1.8v, no big deal because you still have enough cash left over to replace it.

Tha man has money to spend and he wants a 3000mhz dualcore. I say go for it, there seems to be a good chance to get to 3000mhz from what I have seen on different forums.

Is is not what I would have done though. I would have bought a good watercooling setup and an Opteron 170. AS far as I can tell the new Opterons are achieving really great overclocks, I have seen a 170 CCB1E ****VPMW do 2800 at stock vcore, and many similar results. So I have ordered one off those little beauties myself :nod:

My FX-60 will do 3.0 but requires 1.5 volts to do so. It will run 2.9 at 1.425 volts and 2.86 at default voltage. Using air cooling all I will say is this thing is a heat monster. When you start shooting the juice to it you get some serious heat out of it. I have settled into the 2.86 13x220 and am very happy with how it runs 24/7 for me. Now for benches and other playing it will boot at 3.15 without a problem and run just about anything I have thrown at it but refuses to run prime at that speed, but the most voltage I have put to it is 1.55 volts and it gets rather warm in a hurry.

It might also just be luck but the memory controller in this FX-60 is so much better than the three dual core opterons that I tried before this. None of the 175's that I tried liked high htt and refused it with 4 sticks of 512 while the FX-60 has run 290x10 with 4 sticks. ( http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=72982 ) Many have posted good luck with the dual core opterons reaching these speeds but I tried three and the best I could get with default voltage was 2.5. So I'm not sure which is cheaper in the end to just buy what you want or to gamble and not get what you were after.

http://www.v-rodforums.com/member/bench/3150.JPG

I haven't gotten crazy with the OCing, but at relatively stock cpu volts, no matter the divider/fsb I can't go over 2950. Asbolutely stable is 2860 at the moment with the ram running at 480. I am going to try the voltage increase and see what happens. I'm just trying to get everything in and stable at a slight over clock for now so I can *count* on the system. Then I'll get crazy. Temps according to mb and software are 44 at load for prime for cpu, drops to 43 half the time. Have to figure out all the memory timings a bit better. I believe I was stable at 2900 /ram at 500, but was away for a week and yesterday just played around with different FSB's and mem settings w/o much voltage play

Doc

Mine runs 3 gigs on H20.... had it to almost 3.2 but it's not very stable

using Mushkin redline 4000

I run it at 2.8g ,DDR 2-2-2-5 (1/1) 3.2volts 3.5 when Im cranking it

Power supply... a good steady one is best 600w noisetaker enermax works great

This CPU is an A--kicker, one of the previous poster mentioned that the difference between a 4800+ and an FX60 was minimal.... but the FX somehow can do more for everyday use.... encoding, rendering are much better...

I know you don't want an answer with "save the money and get a 165", so if for some reason you really want a FX-60 that does 3ghz on air instead a 165/170 and a Vapochill that makes 3.2-3.3ghz, then I have nothing to say but yes, I don't think you have many problems getting it to 3ghz with the proper PSU and board.

As always with OC nothing is assured. But you'll get more chances of getting 3.1ghz with 170+vapo than 3 with fx-60 and air.

As always with OC nothing is assured. But you'll get more chances of getting 3.1ghz with 170+vapo than 3 with fx-60 and air.

What if he purchased a 170 with a cold bug? I'm sorry I don't see vapo as being a 24/7 dependable unit for any period of time still, just too many things to factor into a unit like that.