Sign in to follow this  
Paaco

Innacessible raid 0 in new PC

I built my new PC today and installed everything. Got windows up and running and can't access my Old Raid 0 Array. The Raid 0 came from an old PC that crapped out on me. I wouldn't mind just formating them if I didn't have 250 gigs of data on them. Is there anything I can do to make my new Windows see it. It recognizes it in Disk Management. However in my computer it has no size listed or anything for the drives. Import Foreign Drive is greyed out and I'm not sure what else to try.

Well, since Windows is recognizing the RAID array in the Disk Management Utility I'll assume that the appropriate SATA channels are enabled in BIOS. Do you have the option to "mark partition as active"?

They are enabled in bios, and they show up as active/healthy in Disk management. The Drive shows up in "My Computer" also, it just shows no size and is not accesable.

In disk management does it show the ARRAY as a basic volume or dynamic volume or any type of volume whatsoever?

ensure that you are using the latest drivers. And if your old board and new board both have more than one raid controller (like the Nf4 sli-dr experts use Nvidia and silicon) ensure that you are using the same type as your last board.

you should have backed up the array onto a single drive first then broke the array on your old board because you didnt you wont be able to use these drives together in a raid array on your new board, do you still have accses to your old board ? if you do then you can set the array back up on it and save your data to a single drive then brake the array, hope this helps

Well, all of the comments about back ups are fair, but still doesn't help this poor chap out. Paaco, did your old array also the boot array for your old pc?

If so, you are probably screwed and will need to heed previous suggestions about installing drives back on to original motherboard and copying files to a single hard drive or multiple dvd roms.

If the array did not contain an OS you might be able to do the following;

1. Access RAID BIOS at boot.

2. Create a new array using the two hard drives.

3. Do not format, delete or set the new raid drives as bootable.

If at anytime you get a warning message that all data on the existing drives or array will be lost, then stop immediately.

At that point you might try the Linux based Knoppix program and see if there is any way to retrieve your data and save it back to removable storage of some sort.