E.S.

with the help of a friend i've come up with this setup:

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Opteron 148 Venus 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N517-AX Video Card

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SB0232 Sound Card

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM

NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model ND-3550A

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ ST3120827AS 120GB (possibly 2)

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A, 2.0 version, 2 SATA, PCI Express, 500W

does this sound good? anything im forgetting? so far i have the case and motherboard.

the main purpose of this computer will be for gaming and music.

also, i'm still debating whether i'll be able to build it myself, will it be too hard for someone who's never worked with computers?

thanks

Looks like it should work okay, you might want to consider stepping up to the 550 watt Fortron, but if you aren't overclocking you should be fine.

also, i'm still debating whether i'll be able to build it myself, will it be too hard for someone who's never worked with computers?

It isn't difficult at all, and thats one of the reasons we're here. :) Take a look at this guide, its a very good starting point.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20832

Once you have it working okay outside of your case you can go ahead and move it, do the same setup to make sure it works, then add your peripherals and install your OS of choice. Heres a text version that is a bit more complete, its not the same board as you but most (if not all) steps apply.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29190

Personally you might wanna switch to an OCZ power supply .. really good warrenty and quiet also.

I would also say get bigger hard drive(s). A 320GB drive only cost $165CND so in the US should be even cheaper :)

Other than that looks good to me.

i see alot of people with huge HD's, but what exactly is the advantage? i don't think i'd ever have use for that much room.

i think 2 x 120gb would be more than enough.

Depends if your a pack rat :) I got about 75GB of TV, 32GB of divx movies, 50GB of "games" and who knows how many dang mp3s.... Also guess you havn't found out about bittorrent yet ;)

i guess that answers that :nod:

will the ocz powerstream 520w really be worth the extra $40 over the forton 550w?

i see alot of people with huge HD's, but what exactly is the advantage? i don't think i'd ever have use for that much room.

i think 2 x 120gb would be more than enough.

I think that you might prefer getting an 80GB or so drive for your operating system and commonly used files, then have a 200+GB drive for music, movies and whatnot. Much easier to reinstall windows then if need be, don't have to worry about losing anything.

I think that you might prefer getting an 80GB or so drive for your operating system and commonly used files, then have a 200+GB drive for music, movies and whatnot. Much easier to reinstall windows then if need be, don't have to worry about losing anything.

yeah that sounds good