Sign in to follow this  
warzer

choosing the right cpu to o/c?

I going to get a dfi ultra D or the sli expert. I want to know not just based on price, how much better/more stable/cooler is the 170 vs the 165? is the chance of a higher stable o/c much higher or just marginal? its like 70$+ difference in cost.

Why get a 170 over the 165 if both o/c the same?

[edit]: also i found out i have crappy infineon ram from patriot but its 2gigs will this ram work with either of the boards on plan on getting?

Please inform the newb.

War

Keep in mind that no OC is a sure thing no matter which chip or stepping you purchase. It is still largely luck to get a really good chip. Another thing to keep in mind is the 165 is limited to the 9x multiplier meaning it takes a healthy HTT running all the time to get 2.7 even if you get one of the really good chips.

Good luck no matter which one you decide on.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...al+dual+opteron

Lots of stuff to read up on in there, much of it relating to the stepping. Unless you're sure of what stepping you buy I'd suggest the 165 since its less expensive and roughly overclocks the same. There have been some VERY good 170s of late though so ask in there, some of those guys really know their opterons. :)