Sign in to follow this  
Agent_Johnson

Shutdown/Sleepmode/Leave On?

Well I just built this computer and I was wondering what is the best course of action when it comes to computers these days. I know back when it was probably best to leave running but what is the best way? Does it take life away from your components from leaving it on all the time?

Actually, many people think that repeated turning off and turning on of computers stresses them more than just leaving them on, as do I. I leave mine on for two days at a time, then I will either restart or leave it off overnight.

Leaving it on all the time uses less power, because start-up will SUCK power from the outlet like vacuum, and causes less stress to your components.

I've always run my computers 24/7 unless there is a bad storm coming or I go out of town for vacation.

I've always believed that turning them off/on daily not only stresses them (components shrink and expand) due to the extreme temperature changes, which eventually will change the characteristics of the silicone, but also as was said, the current draw during power up, and sometimes even the current spike during power down can not only use more energy than just leaving it on, but the spike in itself can sometimes be enough to push a marginal component over the edge.

Granted, the components for the most part, are built with enough tolerance to handle constant shutting down and powering up, I always run everything out of tolerance, so I figure to power down daily would definitely be pushing my luck. :D

All of my computers are on 20/7 and are shutdown for 4 hours per nite while napping and not one has had any failure from startup or shutdown or from anything.

RGone...

So the general concensus is to just leave it running as it is when your using it? No sleepmode or any of the sort, just shut monitor off and go to bed?

Pretty much. Configure the Windows power saving as 'Always On' and you don't have to worry about the monitor either, as it will go into a sleep state by itself.

if you oc, i'd turn it off when you dont use it. Personally, I'm downloading torrents 24.7 so i turn off my oc while I do that so I can leave my baby on :)

Well I am overclocked, lol. Look at my sig. Back to square one. For 8 years or so I've been putting them in standby at night. Now though, with my new rig, that I built, I wanna know what's best for my baby. Past computers have been a Gateway and Dell, okay and a Packard Bell back in the day but shhh.