Homebuilt acrylic case project part II

Well, I walked up to Advance Auto Parts and the guy said he didn't have the catalog that would've told him about the dimensions. So I guess I'm going to have to do some more hunting around.

EDIT: found it. Here it is at Danger Den: http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=48

It's marketed as something else but according to one of the comments it's essentially a 77 Bonneville. I'll have to make my case a tad deeper to accommodate it but that's ok.

double heater core dimensions HxWxD -------11" x 6 1/8" x 2"

double Black Ice Extreme (BIX) dimensions ---10.75" x 5.25" x 1.77" BTU Rating 6270 BTU per hour

triple Black Ice Extreme dimensions -----------15.63" x 5.25" x 1.77" BTU Rating 9702 BTU per hour

the bigger the rad, the better the cool. people use heater cores for two reasons.

1. they cost less

2. they don't resctrict the air as much as the BIX

but for quality of design for computer applications and ease of use, the BIX win hands down.

for heat disappation you go by BTU per Hour release of heat. do you know the BTU of the heater core you're looking at? also, look at the BIX Triple dimensions, you gotta believe just from surface area alone that it'll out perform the heater core you're looking at. and all the BIX rads and clones have mounting structures already built in. no screwing around tryingto get the right fit.

in the past, heater cores were the only way to go, this was b4 the BIX came on to the scene and people still harbor those opinions. this was back when the only rads for computers you could buy were nothing more than a S curved tube going thru a couple of fin. the BIX is the same design of the heater cores.

1. so you can get better quality in manufactoring for computer rad applications

2. get better BTU rating with the triple BIX

3. have built in high quality push fittings

4. and have pre-made mounts

and since you're building your own case, you can mount the triple across the top and have 6 low flow almost silent 120's pulling air out the top and thru the rad.

TGM

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(I could've sworn I posted this but it's not there :)

What I did is put the PSU on the other side of the case and moved the motherboard down. I then added an inch to the height. I figure 40mm rad + 25mm fan X 2 is 90mm, or about 3 1/2". There is now about 4 3/4" clearance above the motherboard. Any thoughts on how wide the case should be?

(I could've sworn I posted this but it's not there :)

What I did is put the PSU on the other side of the case and moved the motherboard down. I then added an inch to the height. I figure 40mm rad + 25mm fan X 2 is 90mm, or about 3 1/2". There is now about 4 3/4" clearance above the motherboard. Any thoughts on how wide the case should be?

you've got me lost on what you're doing exactly. are we still talking about the radiators?

TGM

you've got me lost on what you're doing exactly. are we still talking about the radiators?

TGM

Yes, lol

What I was basically talking about is that I've altered the design slightly to accomodate the radiator, which means I've moved the motherboard down and added an inch to the height. That'll give me what I need to mount a triple BIX should I choose to go that route.

I didn't think to ask the BTU rating but he didn't know the specs on it so I'm assuming he wouldn't know. The guy said that the company took that particular catalog away or something. I'm not quite ready to make the switch to watercooling yet so I've got plenty of time to think. In the mean time, I'll just make this case accomodate the biggest radiator I'd ever want, at least then it'll be expandable.

I haven't taken drafting, but it's more a problem with the trackerball I'm using. I've done a lot of things in paint but lately the ball's been catching (I guess Micro$oft thought plastic-to-plastic would be smooth enough :rolleyes: ). I've got the sketch in progress, though, so I'll get back to it when I've got the patience. It shouldn't be long.

Here we go, a clearer drawing to see.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/akai-...ei/computer.jpg

I've pretty much decided on a 10" width. That will make it possible both to mount the drives and possibly two 120mm fans side by side. I haven't decided for sure on the fan placement yet. With a 10" width, is it possible to mount a 120mm fan next to the PCI slots?