Homebuilt acrylic case project part II

well I was inspired by Dragoe, so I drew up a design for a case I'd like to build. It's 23" tall but only 18" deep. But, this won't be a problem since the only thing protruding in from the "front" will be the fans. The drives will all be on the bottom, and the drive faces will be accessable from the left side. Therefore, the left side will really be the front on my case. Regardless I'll still stick with the tower geometry everyone is familiar with. Here is my design:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/akai-...ei/IMG_1476.jpg

1 box = 1". I apologize for the poor quality of taking a photograph of the diagram, but I don't currently have a working scanner.

The three boxes at the bottom section of the case are 4 X 5.25" drive bays. Not sure exactly why they're called 5.25"; the drives are 5.75". I figure it's the width of those really old floppy disks. Anyway, I'm going to build two 5.25" > 3.5" adaptors as well. I'll have twelve drive bays in total. The reason for so many is because ultimately I plan to have two backplanes, or at least provisions for such. With this design I can mount three backplanes and still have room for three more optical drives (one on top or below each plane), although that would be a waste since the motherboard can only support eight SATA drives. Even with two planes I still will have room for six optical drives, which would work out perfect since I can have four CD/DVD drives and two FDDs. It's more than I'll use at least up front, but it's always good to have at least the option.

As with Dragoe's case, there is what seems to be a good place for a radiator, right next to the PSU toward the front of the case. I'm not 100% sure if it's enough so if someone can concur I'd appreciate it. There's 11" between the PSU and the front panel, not counting the fan protrusion if I have one that low.

Any thoughts or comments on this design? Thanks! :nod:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I figured it's a unique design and I like to be unique, lol

do you think I'll have enough room for a Bonneville heater core in the space to the right of the PSU? (the PSU is sitting right on top of the horizontal partition between the drives and the rest of the case)

sorry, i don't know the dimensions of your case or the heater core. it's easy enough to get the dimensions for the heater core, just call up Auto Zone and ask.

most people go with chevette heater cores tho.

personally i think a rad that can take out 6270 BTU per hour is more than enough for a cpu/gpu cooling sysytem. the BIX Dual is the rad i'm talking about.

to each their own tho. i think the rad you want sounds like it'll be pretty big.

TGM

Well, how it was explained to me was that the Chevette could accomodate one 120mm fan whilst the Bonneville could accomodate two. The two cores are apparently both popular but the Chevette is moreso. There's 11" between the PSU and the front panel, not counting the wire trunk. I haven't decided how wide to make the case yet. I guess I'll have to walk up to the auto store tomorrow and investigate a bit.

plus you gotta remember you need to cut and mount the connectors to your water cooling system as well. as for car heater cores, i'm notthe greatest with them.

TGM

p.s. have you seen my new pix in the "My new system" thread? gotta sweet uv pic

Your new system looks awesome =D

If you don't use heater cores, what do you use, do they make specialized radiators?

Your new system looks awesome =D

If you don't use heater cores, what do you use, do they make specialized radiators?

what!?!? w0w..... shhh, lemme tell you this in private n00b!!! n00b alert!!! lmao.... just kidding :)

i'm sure you know what i mean. you've heard of a BIX right? BIX = Black Ice Extreme.

here's my 12" x 6" BIX with 4 120's mounted in the front of my Stacker case

Picture_6.jpg

HERES a ton of them. :)

www.cooltechnica.com is another really great place for water.

TGM

Haha yes, I've had that game for years, I know a lot of the levels like the back of my hand, but I still love playing it :nod:

And yes... as much as I know, I still am a n00b. :(

What's the advantage of getting a BIX over using a heater core, besides having to do a bit of metal work?

Well, I walked up to Advance Auto Parts and the guy said he didn't have the catalog that would've told him about the dimensions. So I guess I'm going to have to do some more hunting around.

EDIT: found it. Here it is at Danger Den: http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=48

It's marketed as something else but according to one of the comments it's essentially a 77 Bonneville. I'll have to make my case a tad deeper to accommodate it but that's ok.