Which G.Skill?

AP0ll0UK

Before I head off to a lan party in April I've got a few things on my shopping list, one of which is some more ram. The ram I currently having in my sig works great and I'm still in the process of overclocking and tweaking my system to get everything right.

If I was to invest in another GB of ram to get me up to 2GB, which of the following would you advise:-

1) Another GB of the ram I already have to give me 2GB (4x512MB)

2) Sell my current ram and buy G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB)

3) Sell my ram and buy 2x1GB of some other G.Skill or another brand of ram

Any advice would be appreciated :D

Personally I would go with Option Number 2 check sig.

G.Skill HZ seems to be doing very well on the DFI motherboards check these links.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37515&highlight=g.skill

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41953&highlight=g.skill

You are better of with 2x1gig sticks than 4x512 that’s seems to be the word on the dfi-street.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Cheers for the advice guys, the HZ seems like the way to go. Need to save up a bit more before I get it though.

HZ :)

G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB) seems a decent £. Not checked it out elswhere though.

Overclockers is where I buy most of my kit from as they tend to have good prices :D Just need more cash for my new case, water kit and a few other bits n bobs but like I said its a little way off yet :D

Just need more cash for my new case, water kit and a few other bits n bobs
Hehe :)

Get your priorities right - cases are not front line components - just something non-geeks think look ok priority is with memory & CPU etc., which let u rock'n'roll :) :shake:

Yes Overclockers can be ok especially their this week only deals. u might also get a good deal on memory Shop4Memory.com

luck :)

Hehe :)

Get your priorities right - cases are not front line components - just something non-geeks think look ok priority is with memory & CPU etc., which let u rock'n'roll :) :shake:

lmao, true very true :D The case I bought originally out of the cash I had left was one of these:- http://www.nzxt.com/NemesisPreview.php in black. It looks crap, has bad design and I've no space for anything which is why I want to invest in a decent case. I need a bit of cable management and my drives are too close together for my liking and with a new case I'll put them in seperate caddies with fans. This case just seems too crowded and nothign can breath.

The Antec P180 isn't a great looker but most importantly it seems to have loads of room for all the stuff I want to get inside it, including a fairly decent watercooling system. The only downside about it I've found is that its no window in the side and I'm crap with a dremel and all that stuff and I haven't found something else which is as spacious and more pleasing on the eye.

So unfortunately a new case is probably going to have to come first as my current one sucks. Then will be the water cooling system so I can get things sorted with my cpu and show it who's boss, then some more memory and sell off my old stuff and then an X1900 XT if I've got any cash left. Thats the plan for now and then dual core at some point in the future but I can't justify it to myself at the moment.

Also, thank you for the link for the Shop4memory, I'll be sure to check it out :D

Btw, do you ever go to any of the Multiplay I series lan parties?

I use 2GB of GSkill PC4000 and it seems to run fine at 245Mhz @ 2.8v

Is PC4000 not guaranteed to run at 250 FSB?

I have the G.Skill HZ and am a bit dissapointed as yet, maybe I dont know how to set it up :D

memtest at 240 T1

memtest at 270 T2