Fix my stuttering please

Did you memtest the sticks recently, or was it a while ago? I'd definately be trying them again, and seeing if anything comes up. If your sticks are dying, you might have hosed your OS too - so that could be causing some additional problems...

Tried the sticks night before last over night came up clean... sticks are 2months old

now

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really think of any way to sort it out without it starting to get pretty expensive, both timewise and $$$. Think you are going to have to start trying replacements for each part in turn on a minimal build with a fresh OS until you find a config that doesn't have problems... I'd definately start with that memory though... sorry, know i haven't been any help...

at this point i would be tempted to say its a graphics card problem. (again)

perhaps see if deleting your cards drivers and running a video thru with no drivers installed - just to see what happens. without another card to test in your system, i am just trying to think of some way to try and isolate the problem. like you said, your ram seems fine, memtest stable etc, your card is the most key compnent for games and video so it must be the next thing implicated. can you run the 3dmark test suites? if so, what scores? also, try sandra memory and everest testing/benching to get an idea of memory performance and compare on here.

at this point i would be tempted to say its a graphics card problem. (again)

perhaps see if deleting your cards drivers and running a video thru with no drivers installed - just to see what happens. without another card to test in your system, i am just trying to think of some way to try and isolate the problem. like you said, your ram seems fine, memtest stable etc, your card is the most key compnent for games and video so it must be the next thing implicated. can you run the 3dmark test suites? if so, what scores? also, try sandra memory and everest testing/benching to get an idea of memory performance and compare on here.

Ill report 3dmark scores and come back

Tried

Single slot yellow - 1gb

Double slot yellow - 2gb

Double slot orange - 2gb

OK.

Well, this may sound like a dumb question at first, but I'm only trying to think outside the box;

Do you have the SLI jumper set correctly for a single card? I know that there is no reason why you would have it set for SLI, let alone the fact that you have an ATI card.....but I know when you get into a frustrating situation that it's possible to miss something really obvious.

hmmmmm.... Well i havent touched it if thats what you mean? i just built it up and hit the power button , do i need to take a jumper out or something?

Well..it's my guess you are using PCIe x16 Slot #1?

The SLI jumpers SHOULD by default be set for their affinity to slot #1 but it's worth checking.....

Just look in your mobo manual. It should show a picture of where the jumpers should be set. I haven't messed with mine since last september when I got my Ultra-D, but I believe that the jumpers should be aligned straight across the jumper pins on the side closest to the PCI slot that you are using. Check your manual though!...I'm at work right now and not looking at my home rig.

Dang...I hope the problem is as simple as this...finger's crossed :)