Sign in to follow this  
vertigofm

Need help choosing a power supply!

Ok here are my specs for my new rig:

Antec P180 or Lian Li 7077

Ultra-D

Opteron (dual core) 170/175 (Want to do some awesome overclocking)

1900XTX PCI-E

I also want to put some cold cathcodes and stuff. I was looking at this:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ind...roducts_id=2526

1. How is this with the Ultra-D? Is this one of the best I can get?

2. is 520 W enough power for my rig? and for OCing? Thanks!

I'm using a PC-7077 with my Ultra-D. Lots of room inside - especially compared to the Antec Super Lanboy I moved from. Mine came with 120mm fan + 2 80mm exhaust in back. It had the EX-34 drive cage (four 3.5 from three 5.25" bays) with a 120mm intake blowing across the drives. There's a vent on the bottom (it comes with a filter and metal piece you can put over that). The top has holes in as well with an aluminum piece blocking it (connected with push pins).The hard drive cage has rubber washer type things (so do the fans). It came with a CD and floppy bezel.

I removed the top piece and mounted a 120mm for exhaust. My temps are in the mid 30's. The only problem I had was hooking up the front 1394 ports, the cable isn't long enough to reach the motherboard connectors on the Ultra-D. Front USB was fine. I didn't hook up front audio connectors. I replaced the 120mm fan in the rear with a higher CFM one and mounted it below my PSU (you can change it to have PSU on top or bottom). The fans use push-pins, just get your fingernail under the outside and pull.

J

Edit: I took some pics, but they're too big to post. Here's the CD bezel and the floppy bezel . Mine didn't come with a window, not sure it you can buy a windowed side panel or not. Here's a side panel for 7x series cases. I'd email to check if it would fit before buying. I was thinking of buying a window kit and modding my side panel and throwing a couple of cold cathodes in mine (since I did some sleeving with UV) but haven't had the time or had more important things to spend money on (moving to new house).

I'm using a PC-7077 with my Ultra-D. Lots of room inside - especially compared to the Antec Super Lanboy I moved from. Mine came with 120mm fan + 2 80mm exhaust in back. It had the EX-34 drive cage (four 3.5 from three 5.25" bays) with a 120mm intake blowing across the drives. There's a vent on the bottom (it comes with a filter and metal piece you can put over that). The top has holes in as well with an aluminum piece blocking it (connected with push pins).The hard drive cage has rubber washer type things (so do the fans). It came with a CD and floppy bezel.

I removed the top piece and mounted a 120mm for exhaust. My temps are in the mid 30's. The only problem I had was hooking up the front 1394 ports, the cable isn't long enough to reach the motherboard connectors on the Ultra-D. Front USB was fine. I didn't hook up front audio connectors. I replaced the 120mm fan in the rear with a higher CFM one and mounted it below my PSU (you can change it to have PSU on top or bottom). The fans use push-pins, just get your fingernail under the outside and pull.

J

Edit: I took some pics, but they're too big to post. Here's the CD bezel and the floppy bezel . Mine didn't come with a window, not sure it you can buy a windowed side panel or not. Here's a side panel for 7x series cases. I'd email to check if it would fit before buying. I was thinking of buying a window kit and modding my side panel and throwing a couple of cold cathodes in mine (since I did some sleeving with UV) but haven't had the time or had more important things to spend money on (moving to new house).

oh, thanks... um lol but I was asking about the power supply. Maybe you got confused, sorry if my question was confusing...

oh, thanks... um lol but I was asking about the power supply. Maybe you got confused, sorry if my question was confusing...

Oops, sorry about that. I saw P180 or 7077 and thought the question was about those 2 cases. I have a PC Power & Cooling 510ASL that I love. The OCZ should work with the Ultra-D as well. I prefer hard-wired PSU over modular and was looking at the OCZ Powerstream before I settled on the PCP&C.

J

I considered the PC&P, but someone told me that not only is the OCZ about $100 cheaper, but that it also performs the same- if not better with DFI boards... so I still don't know...

I dont know about OCZ but I can vouch for PC&P, this my personal opinion I love PC&P, did a lot of research. And read a lot of forums that recommend PC&P.

I guess everyone recommends their own psu, so I'll throw in silverstone psus--they're really awesome. There is the Zeus or Strider I'd recommend, both are great, sli certified.

I LOVE my Hiper Type-R 580 (see sig)

Comes in 4 colors...for those that like to match them up with the case and the fan color configs.

Mine is running as stable as can be on Fedora Core 4.

The Hiper is nice. However, there is no 8 pin connector for those boards that require it. The adapter has worked for me. I did, however, use the Hiper in a rig not requiring the 8 pin connector. I'm very happy with it. For those who don't like modular PSUs because of the connections to the PSU should take a close look at how the Hiper does it. It's great.

I would definately go with the OCZ powerstream sli. I have had nothing but good expereince with ocz.

Sign in to follow this