Which way to point fan.

Kasparov

Fan location and direction can be different on every case. I live in a very warm area and watch temps like a Hawk. I have several XP90C that work well but what I have found is they tend to hold the heat around the motherboard in the tower cases that I use. For my FX-60 I went with a Thermaltake tower 112 that uses six heat pipes but the fans never blow air near the motherboard. Instead they are aligned so that the cooler exits right into the discharge fan for the case. What this does is exhaust the hot air out of the case instead of blowing it down on the motherboard. Still quiet but I run at idle at 42C and full load of prime at 52C peak after hours with the room temp at 70-75F. Getting the hot air out of the case is very very important and what ever you do don't trust the temp readings in the bios or I should say you cannot trust them on any of the three DFI boards that I own. Did you ever notice they peak temp and drop temps almost instantly, well you can bet your cpu isn't peaking and dropping that fast and my laser thermometer confirms the fact that my cup is climbing slowly and dropping temps slowly. I found one of my boards to be off by as much as 10C when at full load, but the fact that they show the instant increase and decrease got me checking my temps using other methods.

Bottom line is to play with your fan locations and check your temps with something besides the bios or software with this board. Think of it like a car or a bike in the wind and fan location and aerodynamics are everything in keeping the cpu cool.

if your fan is powerful enough it can be used to pull air thru your HS but if it isnt you will not get sufficient cooling and definately not as much as blowing air over the fins.

also, unless your fan is sucking air from outside the case with some ducting or something, the fan speed becomes irrelevant at a certain point coz its just blowing more air of the same temperature over the fins so not increasing its cooling ability. the difference in temps between my evo33 fan at 1800rpm / 18dba and 3800rpm / 40dba was only 3degs under load. not really worth the trade off when my temps were sub 45degs anyway. my si-120 with my 38mm SilenX keeps my temps at 38degs under load and stays at 1500rpm / 15dba. its awesome! :nod:

if your fan is powerful enough it can be used to pull air thru your HS but if it isnt you will not get sufficient cooling and definately not as much as blowing air over the fins.

also, unless your fan is sucking air from outside the case with some ducting or something, the fan speed becomes irrelevant at a certain point coz its just blowing more air of the same temperature over the fins so not increasing its cooling ability. the difference in temps between my evo33 fan at 1800rpm / 18dba and 3800rpm / 40dba was only 3degs under load. not really worth the trade off when my temps were sub 45degs anyway. my si-120 with my 38mm SilenX keeps my temps at 38degs under load and stays at 1500rpm / 15dba. its awesome! :nod:

Well the HSF is a Silverstone FM121/ which is 110 CFM. And then it is right next to my exhaust fan- which is anthor FM121.

Fan location and direction can be different on every case. I live in a very warm area and watch temps like a Hawk. I have several XP90C that work well but what I have found is they tend to hold the heat around the motherboard in the tower cases that I use. For my FX-60 I went with a Thermaltake tower 112 that uses six heat pipes but the fans never blow air near the motherboard. Instead they are aligned so that the cooler exits right into the discharge fan for the case. What this does is exhaust the hot air out of the case instead of blowing it down on the motherboard. Still quiet but I run at idle at 42C and full load of prime at 52C peak after hours with the room temp at 70-75F. Getting the hot air out of the case is very very important and what ever you do don't trust the temp readings in the bios or I should say you cannot trust them on any of the three DFI boards that I own. Did you ever notice they peak temp and drop temps almost instantly, well you can bet your cpu isn't peaking and dropping that fast and my laser thermometer confirms the fact that my cup is climbing slowly and dropping temps slowly. I found one of my boards to be off by as much as 10C when at full load, but the fact that they show the instant increase and decrease got me checking my temps using other methods.

Bottom line is to play with your fan locations and check your temps with something besides the bios or software with this board. Think of it like a car or a bike in the wind and fan location and aerodynamics are everything in keeping the cpu cool.

Since my case is so small, I only have room for 3 fans. My HSF is a 110CFM, my exhaust is also 110CFM, and my Front intack fan is a 150CFM Delta.

Since my case is so small, I only have room for 3 fans. My HSF is a 110CFM, my exhaust is also 110CFM, and my Front intack fan is a 150CFM Delta.

Even in a small area changing the fans directions with deflectors or other items can be very important to getting the air moving in the areas that you want it to move. Don't be afraid to spend some time with different methods of moving air around. I play a lot with small deflectors as changing the air stream changes everything. Even a vortex generator at the exit of a fan can get the air spinning and help the flow get where you need it.

Even in a small area changing the fans directions with deflectors or other items can be very important to getting the air moving in the areas that you want it to move. Don't be afraid to spend some time with different methods of moving air around. I play a lot with small deflectors as changing the air stream changes everything. Even a vortex generator at the exit of a fan can get the air spinning and help the flow get where you need it.

Once I get my full overclock done with, then I will play. That is to say if my case temps are not too good. As long as my wires dont get in the way, I see no issues.. this is some series air pushing in there.

That is a lot of air and noise, I have only a NoiseBlocker UltraSilentFan-S2 as an exhaust and no intake fans