N00b To Linux Here

LobbDogg

Well I downloaded the ATI 9800 pro drivers for Linux here, they are in the rpm format. Thing is, how do I know if they were installed correctly? I tried just executing the rpm from the Gnome GUI as well from the terminal but I'm not sure if they installed right because I can't find anything anywhere about if it was installed correctly. Also when a person installs a program on Linux, does it go somewhere where a person can find it to run the program? (like the start menu in windows) Any help is appreciated. Thankx

Edited by LobbDogg

I have the 9700 pro and could never get the 9700 pro specific drivers to work in redhat 9. All you have to do though is use the generic radeon drivers and set the memory to whatever your card is(128, 256) Thats the only way i found around it. This was about 4 months ago so i dont know if theyve made any developments as of yet, but it worked for me. :D

well, I'd say check to documentation to see if theres any splash screens that are supposed 2 show up upon x starting up....

if not I guess what I'd do is try running your card at high resolutions by

configuring your xf86config file and seeing if X will startup...

all I know is that w/ nvidia cards you'll see a splash screen...

maybe try lsmod and see if theres anything that looks like an ati driver

in there...

You can make sure the RPM installed fine, by running:

rpm -qa | grep *fglrx*

If you see no output, then it probably didn't install properly. If it returns something like:

fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.5.i586.rpm

then it did install.

BTW: You should install RPM's from a terminal so you can see the error messages, dependencies, ect..

Also check your /var/log/messages for any errors.