Sign in to follow this  
noahsark1126

Anyone know how to partition a hard drive without losing everything?

I would like to do it free. I would rather spend $80 for another hard drive than spend $50 for a program I will use maybe once or twice to essentially make one drive into two.

There are plenty of paying programs but I can't find any freeware. Anyone know of one?

If you know linux, there is a tool in Suse 9.0 that I know of and have used, that can partition ntfs and ext3 (along with other formats). I think it is called Acronis, you can google for Suse (or linux for that matter) and re-partition and you should find some free alternatives. But the best program I know of and have is PartitionMagic by Norton. Very easy and intutive and best of all it is very fast for what it accomplishes.

Yea I've heard of PartitionMagic but you have to pay for it.

Maybe I'll just go for the extra drive...not that I need it. I have 90gb free on my single 160gb hard drive. It's probably the way to go. Then I could run Windows x64 and some 64-bit Linux version on the extra drive and have plenty of space to spare.

PartEd is another linux tool for partitioning that my friend mentioned...completely commandline though. He said it was easy, but he is a linux guru :nod:

But with a quick look at there site for it...it doesnt resize ntfs.

It is a shame isn't it...that there are so many people out there that make programs free on linux but so few of the windows programers make their code free for windows users...thats why I love dual boot windows and linux cause i can get everything for free on linux and legally :)

See if you can find Hiren's boot disk. There are a couple of partitioning tools on there that would work for you. And its free...............................

I believe BartPE has a partitioning tool on the as well. Free as well but takes some geek to make it work!

Guest Tmod
I would like to do it free.

Do a search for Ranish Partition Manager as it is free.

Tmod

Do a search for Ranish Partition Manager as it is free.

Looks ok except you need a floppy drive which I unfortunately don't have. I actually have one lying around but I don't have a free 3.5" bay.

Also, pretty much all the programs that can do it without data loss are OS based. The fact that you boot from it makes me skeptical.

Guest Tmod
Looks ok except you need a floppy drive which I unfortunately don't have. I actually have one lying around but I don't have a free 3.5" bay.

Make a bootable cd version.

If you can't make a bootable CD version do you want me to make one for you?

Also, pretty much all the programs that can do it without data loss are OS based. The fact that you boot from it makes me skeptical.

Are you trying to partition a HD with data on it?

If you are any partitioning program will destroy the data. Unless you are trying to partition the extra HD space.

Tmod

If you've got a cable could you not just leave the floppy hanging out the side of the case while you get your disk partitioned?

Make a bootable cd version.

If you can't make a bootable CD version do you want me to make one for you?

I can do it no problem I just need to know what files to put on it. I'm sure I can find it in the readmes or just figure it out. I've done this kind of stuff many times.

If you've got a cable could you not just leave the floppy hanging out the side of the case while you get your disk partitioned?

I could also do this.

Are you trying to partition a HD with data on it?

If you are any partitioning program will destroy the data. Unless you are trying to partition the extra HD space.

Yes it has data on it but only about 60 gigs (out of 160). What I want to do is take about 10 gigs at the end and partition that so I can put Windows XP x64 on it. Can I do that with this program without losing my data?

Basically I want to avoid buying another hard drive which I won't nearly use up.