G.Skill

mrtell

Just bought some G.Skill 4000HZ.

Ran memtest and the best I can get is 240 fsb at 1T 3 4 4 8

270 fsb at 2T 3 4 4 8

should I be getting 270 fsb at 1T ?

This memory is not in a DFI board yet but hopefully soon will be

i would think yes ....if all timing are the same

but for sure the only way to tell is to bench, and see what the difference is...

but if you could run tighter timings at 1t 240 vs very loose at 270 2t....my though is the 240 would have better performance

just remember, the main idea is all about cpu mhz's...so what ever works to get your cpu running the fastest is the best choice...you can always throw your ram on a divider...and then run tight timings at 1t....just you need to do your benchies to see what works best for ya.

let us know,,,,

Argh, things are going terribly.

I dropped down (gradually) to a 9/10 divider, so I'm now at 236mhz (2600/11), and I'm on 2T timings, and default. It's just refusing to do more than a minute of sp2004 (using this as it tends to fail quickest, better than waiting 5 mins for memtest). Terrible...

What are the the conditions for rma?

Maybe I just have a bad set.

[EDIT]

At 2T, 236mhz, memtest seems to be running ok (it hasn't failed as quickly as before at 260mhz, 1T) but still I don't like the fact that sp2004 won't run. I'm doing the ram stress test on it. sp2004 is just prime95, so the fact that it won't run makes me unhappy, as I'm not properly stable.

just remember, the main idea is all about cpu mhz's...so what ever works to get your cpu running the fastest is the best choice...you can always throw your ram on a divider...and then run tight timings at 1t....just you need to do your benchies to see what works best for ya.,,,,

That is the question I was going to ask.

I have an opty 144 which will run at 2.6 (289 fsb)

Is it better to run at 1T with a bigger ratio divider?

Or

Is it better to run at 2T with a less of a divider?

if you know what I mean.

thanks.

@ burky, have some patience...not everyone that has that ram is able to hit 270.

its a bit tricky, and there is a good thread on this forum, where people are posting thier ram settings...i also didnt have the best luck with this ram, and went and bought a second set, that gave me the exact same results as the first set. remember, not all things oc equally. this ram will run [email protected] anything higher, or tighter is an oc gift, so if you can run at the factory specs, no need for rma...you will just have to use a divider to get you cpu mhz's higher..

in my case i am now mixing my g.skill with an addition gig (2 x 512) of corsair to have a total of 3 gigs ram, i just wanted to see if the 3 gigs makes an diff in bf2, and i cant see any diff atm....

and i am awaiting some bh-5 (geil) that i am gonna play with.

so look at the oc data base and try to copy some other peoples settings, dont get discouraged yet!

@ mrtell read this....

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40178

Thanks for the encouragement icon57, but I'm still curious as to why memtest would allow the sticks to pass fine, but sp2004 fails before reaching a minute on the ram stress test.

If it can't prime, then it's simply not 100% stable like I need, right?

@burky...yes, if you cant pass prime95, it should not be considered 100% stable, but thats your call, some people dont care about prime one way or the other as long as games dont crash.

your question about the mem, being memtst stable, but yet p95 crashing has been asked b4the answer i can give you is this...sometime a cpu can be stable at 270 x 10= 2700, but not at 300 x 9=2700, or visa versa....its a matter of finding the "right combo" of cpu settings and mem setting that work best.....some blame a weak mem controller on the cpu.

but in your case, my best guess would be the ram. you need to find the sweet spot with timings and or voltage...some people are getting better results with low volts, as low as 2.55 or 2.61...also run the windows memtest once you are in windows as you might not get errors in the bios ver of mem test but theu could show up while in windows.

keep us posted.

@mrtell yes, with 2t you should/might be able to get higher, and then use a divider as needed .