Sign in to follow this  
canadianpsycho

So are LDT and Chipset voltage factors or not?

So I've read the guide, it implies upping the LDT voltage and Chipset voltage shouldn't do much for your OC.

Yet I've read a couple threads, and a few people suggest upping the LDT and Chipset voltage at least 0.1V.

Does this accomplish anything? What are the benefits/hazards or any other effects of upping it to certain levels? Thanks.

More heat = more danger.

More danger = more money spent on replacing blown components.

More money spent = better economy.

Better economy = lower costs.

Lower costs = better stuff for less moooolaaaa!

GO FOR IT! :D

I guess I should have elaborated further:

Does anyone know first hand, or have any info supporting one side of the argument or the other? I am aware of the fact that increased voltages typically raise temps.

I was able to run a much higher FSB at 1.96 volts on the chipset and 1.5 on the LDT. To be fair I always run 1.5 on the LDT...dunno why. But yeah I can hit 465 on the FSB stable with the really high chipset voltage. I have mine water cooled though, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a really good heatsink.

Just try and see, can't hurt if you just bump it up a little bit. :)

Does anyone know first hand, or have any info supporting one side of the argument or the other? I am aware of the fact that increased voltages typically raise temps.

I have Corsair Twinx1024-3200C2 memory, and on their lab test with the DFI Lanparty UT Ultra D, they suggest raising the LDT to 1.4 when overclocking. I just raised mine and have gone from to 245 to 250(10x250). 3DMark2006 score 2119.

Still playing with it.

Hey just get the info your self then post it. Run a bench(s) with all volts to lowest value run bench, restart set all volts to highest value run bench again. Work from there

Monitor temps

Basic steps but that’s a start then you should know if it helps/hurts your system

LDT voltage was/is big for me.

When I had my Opteron 148 at 3000 mhz, the eventual key was the LDT voltage.

Only changing the LDT voltage this is what happened:

1.2volts= Prime 95 error 10 mins

1.3volts= prime 95 error 45 mins

1.4volts= prime 95 error 2 hours

1.5volts= prime 95 error usually after 10 plus hours.. like 15.

So in my case the key was the LDT voltage. People will tell you it doesn't do anything, but it has always helped for me.

I started playing with chipset/LDT voltage tonight on my SLI-DR/Opteron 148 combo. At stock volts I hit a wall at 2700MHz. Raising CPU voltage didn't help at all. After upping the chipset to 1.7 and LDT to 1.5 the wall disappeared! OCCT just passed at 2860 so I'm itching to see how high it will go now.

Another strange thing I noticed was in the graphs OCCT generates. At stock chipset/LDT volts, I had about 1% ripple in the 12v rail and Vcore voltages. But after upping the chipset/LDT voltages, both graphs are now perfectly straight with zero ripple. I don't know if this has anything to do with increasing stability but it can't hurt.

I have Corsair Twinx1024-3200C2 memory, and on their lab test with the DFI Lanparty UT Ultra D, they suggest raising the LDT to 1.4 when overclocking. I just raised mine and have gone from to 245 to 250(10x250). 3DMark2006 score 2119.

Still playing with it.

Does Corsair recommend this?

I started playing with chipset/LDT voltage tonight on my SLI-DR/Opteron 148 combo. At stock volts I hit a wall at 2700MHz. Raising CPU voltage didn't help at all. After upping the chipset to 1.7 and LDT to 1.5 the wall disappeared! OCCT just passed at 2860 so I'm itching to see how high it will go now.

Another strange thing I noticed was in the graphs OCCT generates. At stock chipset/LDT volts, I had about 1% ripple in the 12v rail and Vcore voltages. But after upping the chipset/LDT voltages, both graphs are now perfectly straight with zero ripple. I don't know if this has anything to do with increasing stability but it can't hurt.

Thanks for this... I'm going to try out an increase in the voltages then. I'm currently stable at 2850 at around 1.45vcore... Can't get any higher with more vcore. Maybe this will help. Will be a pleasant surprise if it does.

yes, if it works, nice find... currently @10x290, hitting wall at 292 so perhaps this will get me 10x3... athough my proc really seems to ho hate 300+, have to drop multi way down ... @ 292 I get prime error after 10+Hours ...

can't hurt trying, I guess