Sign in to follow this  
sumasage

Windows XP wont boot

just builded the system in sig. The installation seem to went ok. I walked away for the last 10 mins of installation. When came back i saw a blank screen...thought it was the screen saver or system went standby. Move the mouse and hit a few keys on the keyboard but the black screen still there. Turn off the comp and turn it back on, it gave me the boot option screen where you can chose safe mode, boot with network, command, last good configuration, normal...i chose normal boot and press enter. The system just stood there and doesnt do anything. The hard drive light on the case doesnt blink, only the power light is on. Restarted a few more times, choose different boot options but the result is the same. How can i get the system too boot? hardware seem ok.

I have an Ultimate Boot CD v2.0 that i tried to test the ram, mem86 doesnt seem to run, it just reboot the system when i choose it. The window memory test ran just fine though. could this be causing the problem? also why doesnt mem86 doesnt run?

Thanks guys.

When you enable memtest in bios then you reboot and memtest should come up after running memtest then exit reboot to bios and disable memtest and reboot.

memtest86 ran just fine with no error. any idea on why the system doesnt boot?

i notice that in the bios there is an option call "Halt On", the options are all error, all error, but keyboard, etc... could this be causing the problem? i tried various settings but it still doesnt work. How does this "Halt On" thing work? what is it use for?

Removed the xfi card but still the same. Did the 10mins clear CMOS and when boot up it said that "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded". Pressed F1 to continue and still no progress.

I noticed during the memtest it report that my ram is 2-3-2-5 but i think my ram is 2-2-2-5 not sure if this is the problem. Since i am running SATA hard drive, do i need to install the SATA RAID Driver floppy disk that came with the mobo? Thank you for your helps.

If you are not doing a raid array you do not need to install sata driver as windows has it own. Have you enabled the sata ports in bios. And set up your optical drive.

memtest86 ran just fine with no error. any idea on why the system doesnt boot?

i notice that in the bios there is an option call "Halt On", the options are all error, all error, but keyboard, etc... could this be causing the problem? i tried various settings but it still doesnt work. How does this "Halt On" thing work? what is it use for?

i just set it to halt on all but keyboard....i dont think that is your problem.

you dont need ti install raid drivers unless you are going to use raid...so you are fine with just 1 sata hd...

i never walk away any more during installations...lol

try a cmos reset...and load optimized default settings in bios, and just use one stick of mem in top orange slot, and remove sound card before doing all this.

not sure what you mean by enable SATA port in the bios. The computer see the drive so i supposed that the port is enable. I tried to look in the bios but doesnt find anything like that, can you tell me where to find it? Same with the optical drive.

try a cmos reset...and load optimized default settings in bios, and just use one stick of mem in top orange slot, and remove sound card before doing all this.

Removed the sound card and one stick of ram (one left in the orange slot closest to cpu slot). Clear the bios (unplug power, change jumper, hit power and reset button about 10 times, change jumper back and turn system on) . The system wont boot, i got 3 red LEDs (debug LED) and the power light on the case is blinking. If i put the other stick of ram in then it will boot. WHAT IS GOING ON???? IT NOT SUPPOSE TO BE THIS HARD!!!

Update: moved the stick of ram next to the cpu to the other orange slot (furthest from cpu slot) and the system booted. When select "start windows normally" i get the hard drive light this time, it is solid and the screen still froze.

If it boots with both sticks great run memtest 5full passes and test#[email protected]#8 for 20 passes before OS install. IDE drives ,,BIOS>integrated peripherals>IDE function.

not sure what you mean by "5full passes and test#[email protected]#8 for 20 passes". I left memtest running for about 15 mins. It passed the first test with 6/6. Then i turned it off. should i leave it on longer. The way to test above, how long does it take?

I went into IDE function in the bios.....what i'm i looking for in there?

After rereading all this ide must be OK if you have used the drive already. Do the memtest and after passing reformat and install OS. Good luck.