best cpu cooler for me. ninja, si-120 or big TT

CosmicRain

ok this is another cpu cooler quest. the three in question are:

the scythe ninja link

pros: passive

cons: very large

the Thermalright Si-120 link

pros: cools the entire mobo as well. so ram/mosfets/pwmic will be cooler than normal. no need for ghetto active ram cooling

cons: there are better preforming hsf out there.

The ThermalTake BigTyphoon link

pros: comes with fan, suposveily very good

cons: large as well

ok well im pretty sure the ninja will fit in my case but it will be one hell of a tight squeeze. which kinda sucks bc i really was thinking of getting it.

though im really about the si-120 cooling the mobo. how does the big typhoon do in that department? the ninja? if anyone has a picture of there dfi mobo with one of htese on it could you post it and tell me your cpu and pwmic temps?

well my system temps @ 2250mhz (my new stock) are like 30C idle on cpu and pwmic and never above 40C on both for load. gpu will be 55-60C load and only 40C idle. chipset is 40C idle and 47C load.

now at 2700mhz (gaming overclock) temps are: 40C idle (cpu+pwmic) 48C load. with the chipset and gpu only raise like 3C each from stock.

any imput on this would be greatly appreciated.

btw i do plan to run the ninja with a fan (as well as the si-120) something like a medium speed panaflo on a controller.

Guest Erukian

My big typhoon runs at 1300RPM (very quiet) and it cools my Opty 148 at 26C idle, so i think that's a good choice.

The Zalman really benfits from a side intake or a open case situation. I think they all will fit, so read reviews on all of them and maybe they'll compare one cooler to another, then buy whatever cools the best. That's what i'd do. Asking on a forum however will have people recommending what they have, not what's best for you.

-Joe

I can only speak on the si 120 as I have the xp-120 and I am very pleased.

A big part of it is my love of the 120mm fan.

My 120s (3 including the one on hsf) are so quiet I leave em on load constant.

Cpu 28c-40c

gpu 36c –50c

Chipset 36c –38c (I turned of the cheap onboard fan) (temps = idle-load)

And the si-120 will keep your ram nice andcool. But I kind of would recommend a fan dampener to place between the hs and fan to eliminate vibrations from 120mm fan to damage cpu? Idk.

does the big T cool the ram and mosfets well?

loony what do you mean by modified bigT in your sig?

im thinking about getting the big T and if not the si-120, though the latter is seeming outdated

yes very well im running BT lidless temps inside the house 75 i idel at 26c and have never seen 38c full load and belive me im loaded :nod: