X1900XT or SLI Mod?

Ok I decided to go with the X2 4800+ due to the possibility of an Operton 175 simply not working. The 4800+ can be OC'd a bit anyway, so that's good enough for me.

However, I would like to hear from people with the X1900XTs and people who have modded to SLI (and subsequently USED the SLI) on the Ultra-D.

If anyone has done both, man would I like to hear from you!

Thanks,

Taosin

Nah, he is wondering if it is worth going SLI on an Ultra-D or just getting a single 1900XT

Honestly, there is little room for SLI on the Ultra-D

I don't know about you but I was using up my bottom two PCI slots, leaving little room for a second card (especially with 3rd party cooling)

I also heard that the 1900XT does better than two GT's in SLI, and I like single card solutions :P

Edit:

Or wait until G71 comes out March 9th and tears the 1900's apart.

Ahh yes I have the sig with the Radeon, that is true. Sorry to cause confusion on that. Yea I was wondering if the SLI mod would be worthwhile. Now that I read the potential for space constraints I will go with the X1900XT over the SLI mod. I orginally bought this board for a single-card solution and when I saw it could be modded I figured it would be worth checking into.

As long as the X1900XT poses no compatibility problems with the Ultra-D (which I don't imagine it would) I will go with it.

So I think with this system I should be good to go for at least a couple years.

Sounds good, now, just need to get on Newegg and order the beast.

Thanks,

Tao

• 1 month later...

I'm glad this thread started. I'm also sticking with a single card solution because of space constraint problems on the Ultra-D, especially when using aftermarket cooling solutions that take up an extra slot. The G71 solutions look awful tempting, but a Powercolor X1900XT can be had at Newegg for $439 (when they are in stock). Most of the XT's will clock to XTX levels. After reading tons of reviews and comparisons I think the following is accurate; Single card performance rankings; FPS and AA/AF performance only

1. GeForce 7900GTX

2. ATI X1900XTX

3. ATI X1900XT

4. Geforce 7800GTX 512mb

5. Geforce 7900GT

6. Geforce 7800GTX 256mb

7. ATI X1800XTX

The latest 580 GPU core ATI cards perform exceptional on game titles using lots of shaders (like FEAR for example). The ATI cards take less of a hit when enabling AA/AF. But there is no question, as of right now the G71 based 7900GTX is king of the hill. But we need to look at pricing too.

7900GTX $519.00+

1900XTX $499.00+

1900XT $439.00+

7900GT $299.00+

So, If you're on a tight budget the 7900GT is the way to go all the way. If you want the biggest badest single card solution then the 7900GTX is the way to go.

Personally, when I upgrade from my current 7800GT I'm going with the 1900XT and clocking it up to XTX speeds.