Sign in to follow this  
Ipecac

Problems with Marvell and NF4 Lan

I've had internet problems lately. I had my modem plugged into the Marvell LAN, and it was saying "limited or no connectivity" and showing 10mbps as the speed (it should be 1.0GBps). It was 1.0GBps at first, but almost immediately dropped to 10mbps. So, I tried the NF4 plug. It showed up as 1.0GBps, but after a reboot, it's at 10mbps too (no limited connectivity warning though).

Also, I've been trying to download this Auto Assault beta client which is 2.13GB, and I've gotten a corrupted file all three times. I heard that this could be a LAN problem. Maybe that would explain why my DSL speed is so erratic; jumping from 400kbps to 2.5gbps in DL throughput. This bandwidth problem might just be SBC.

Any suggestions?

Well, you tried both lan controllers and they're both doing the exact same thing...what does that tell you?

The problem is not with the controllers....can easily be either your software firewall installation (if you have one) or even worse...your Cable/DSL modem....or even the phone cable linking the outlet and the modem( if it's DSL) or the cable that goes into the cable modem. I'd bring your computer to someone else's house that has the same provider as you to eliminate the installation or the equipment you have at home...

Well, I just got done swapping out every cat5 cable, and the phone line that connects the modem to the wall jack. I tried hard-wiring my laptop to the modem, and got the same problem: obviously not the lan controllers on the dfi board, then.

I am thinking the problem might be the modem, so I'm bidding on a siemens 4100 on ebay to replace this old, old dsl modem I have. People keep telling me it can't be the problem, but I think it might be. How could the modem cause the problem?

Guest Erukian

Are you using a fresh install of XP w/ the mobo? If not you might try using a live linux cd or reformatting windows

Just a thought. Some weird stuff happens sometimes when you don't reformat windows and you switch mobo's..

-Joe

No, I just rebuilt my computer a month or two ago, and this install is as new as the mobo (and everything else).

I also seem to have figured out that the large file I DL'd was maybe not corrupted after all, but that WINRAR was unable to open it, because WINZIP did it okay.

What I don't understand is (maybe someone can tell me): why does the network connection icon in the system tray show my LAN as 10.0Mbps, when it's a 1.0Gbps LAN?

What I don't understand is (maybe someone can tell me): why does the network connection icon in the system tray show my LAN as 10.0Mbps, when it's a 1.0Gbps LAN?

Itll only show 1.0gbps if its connected to something that can transmit/receive at 1.0gbps. Ie if your router/hub/switch etc isnt a 1gbps router then itll only connect at the speed at which its rated. Which in this case seems to be 10mbps.

I have the same board, its running on the Marvell LAN connector, but my Router is only 100mbit/s, so the LAN connection only shows 100mbit.

Hope that helps :)

Itll only show 1.0gbps if its connected to something that can transmit/receive at 1.0gbps. Ie if your router/hub/switch etc isnt a 1gbps router then itll only connect at the speed at which its rated. Which in this case seems to be 10mbps.

Hope that helps :)

Thats right. And if the only thing connected to the LAN is an adsl modem then you haven't got a problem. The adsl side of the modem is probably limited to 8mbps, so the manufacturers didn't bother making the ethernet side any faster than 10mbps.