cold boot problems

poot

Hello,

I have read numerous cold boot issue threads, and I am having my own cold boot issue. I bought this system about a yr ago and let everything run at default speeds etc. then I decided to finally try and get my vx ram to do what it is supposed to. After some trial and errors and a post over at ocz it turned out I had 1 bad stick. so I rma'd the ram and popped in 2x512 corsair 2700 value ram I had, everything was fine until I shut it off. when I turned it on i get 1 long beep 2 short beeps but if I hit reboot or ctrl alt del, it posts and then hangs at dfi pool or boot from cd depending on bios settings. I have to reload my settings or load optimized defaults to get past dmi pool and into windows. I got my ocz ram back and same problem whether im on default settings or my ocd settings. This also only happens if the pc has been off for a while. Everything is fine once it’s on...

I tried setting defaults and putting 3.3v jumper back. I have tried with just 1 stick 1 hd etc, clear cmos over night, tried to flash back to the 623-3 official bios. I have tried the 2nd pcie slot. I have tried unplugging USB, extra hd, fans, etc. I am trying to find another video card to use and will try another psu when I get home(antec tru 550w 20p w adapter):/ Although I think it’s really a bios / motherboard issue.

any ideas, links, or suggestions?

(*this happens if use defaults also)

Settings:

In Genie Bios

Auto

16 16

9 or 8

disable

1.450v

1.300V

Above VID * 110%

1.30v

1.70v

3.3V

Dram Config

enable

08 or 06

enabled

auto

normal 4

Level 2

8ns

normal

6ns

disable

disable

these are the sttings i use, stable 12hrs prime / memtest. just cant turn it off :/

ok tried the other psu & same thing 1 long 2 short(also tried another monitor/ cables/ dvi output / vga output etc), then i reboot, reenter bios settings and its fine. i have to leave it off for atleast 30 mins to reenact the cold boot probs default bios settings or ocd settings....

I have had the same issues with cold boots as well. With two boards actually (SLI-DR, and asus sli-premium. I dont necessarily think its an issue with the board as much as other hardware. I had to fool with mine changing out parts (I happen to have two rigs) So I finally found combinations between the two that work. Sorry I dont know what to tell you. But keep trying to fix the problem your not the only one with it.

Hi po0t,

When I knew I was gonna get hit with a cold boot on my nf2 ultra, I used to "resolve" it by hitting reset right after I powered on. I was running that at 250 fsb... didn't happen when I ran it at defaults. The forums are filled with this topic, but I believe the basic gist of the problem is that the cpu isn't getting the voltage it needs.

I seem to recall OCZTony telling me that in order to run my VX, it was recommended to use 123%. Perhaps that was just for the nforce3? Maybe try default vcore + 123%?

Also, having such high vdimm and relatively low vcore could also be giving you this issue?

i forgot mention the leds on pwr up show 3 LEDs with 4th blinking. for a few seconds then 3, 2, 1, then i get the vid beeps 1 long 2 short.

fum, if i reboot it posts then hangs at dmi pool, and yes ifi i enter bios & reset my bios settings it will boot in to windows and all is fine. i tried uping the voltage on cpu as we talked about last nite & same boot issues, there is no 123% in the 704-2. forums said 123 could kill the cpu w/ 704 bios anyway...

switched out the video card with a 7800 gt and it booted right up & it was off all night, put my 6800gt back in and 1 long 2 shorts(it will work with a reboot)i switced back and forth a few times to test. bad video card? what do you guys think?

aslo im on 623-3 bios and defaults setting for now....