$300 to spend, 7800GS worth it?

Branjo

Just want to hear from anyone who has one of these bad boys and a similar setup to mine, I was gonna go with another gig of memory but this just seems more tempting. I just want to be able to choose all those high settings for a change and not be stuck with low in BF2,B&W2,HL2,CoD2.

I have no interest in PCI-e at this time, I love the NF3 250gb and my CPU so I'd like to max it as much as possible.

Thanks to anyone that has any advice.

Peace

if i were in your shoes, i would save for a DX10 GPU which probably be released this end of the year.. i have both 7800GTX and x1900 but reading through some articles about DX10 i dont think it would match the quality of a DX10 compared to DX9.. so now im trying to sell my GPU's to save for a DX10 card. :)

But are the DX10 cards likely to come in AGP. I was quite happy untill they brought out the 7800 in AGP now the money is burning a hole in my pocket.

Richteralan do you have any reasons why i should stay clear?

But are the DX10 cards likely to come in AGP. I was quite happy untill they brought out the 7800 in AGP now the money is burning a hole in my pocket.

Richteralan do you have any reasons why i should stay clear?

I'm sure DX10 cards will be available in AGP format, there are far too many people that use them to not market to that group.

my thumbs up for the 7800GS. if u wanna stay AGP, its ur choice. IMO i think u'll b fine........

7800GS is now the king of AGP. ATI rule the AGP platform for the longest time, until 7800GS came out... price drops like crazy to below $300, and it kicks x850's butt without breakin a sweat.....

abit unfair to compair those two actually coz x850 is an older generation.

I'm sure DX10 cards will be available in AGP format, there are far too many people that use them to not market to that group.

I wouldn't bet on it. How long did it take nVidia to come out with an AGP with their current generation? Almost a year since the 7800 launch and the 7800GS doesn't even run as fast as the 7800GT. And I haven't seen too many ATI AGP cards being launched lately. Just the X1300Pro and the X1600Pro, not exactly top of the line. Unless the 7800GS sells out everywhere due to incredible demand, I don't think we'll be seeing anymore AGP cards rolling out except for budget cards.

I wouldn't bet on it. How long did it take nVidia to come out with an AGP with their current generation? Almost a year since the 7800 launch and the 7800GS doesn't even run as fast as the 7800GT. And I haven't seen too many ATI AGP cards being launched lately. Just the X1300Pro and the X1600Pro, not exactly top of the line. Unless the 7800GS sells out everywhere due to incredible demand, I don't think we'll be seeing anymore AGP cards rolling out except for budget cards.

Doesn't have to be top of the line to support dx10. If Vista really is going to have eyecandy that requires it you can bet Microsoft will push inexpensive cards to try to sell their new product. PCI-e may be the way to go for the average user on computerbuilding forums, but 95% of the rest of the world is still using onboard or AGP video. Only in the last few months have mainstream companies begun handling PCI-e in mainstream products.

Thats exactly it MenionLeah, I see this as the last performance boost im likely to see again.

I already got the 3700 Claw and thats as far as AMD are going for my socket so I just want the best card for the AGP and then im done with upgrading, I figure i should be able to play the next 2 years of games even if I have to drop the settings gradually to low inorder to do it. but now I have to run everything in low with my 9800 Pro AIW

Thanks Redbeaver thats kinda what i want to hear :)

Doesn't have to be top of the line to support dx10. If Vista really is going to have eyecandy that requires it you can bet Microsoft will push inexpensive cards to try to sell their new product. PCI-e may be the way to go for the average user on computerbuilding forums, but 95% of the rest of the world is still using onboard or AGP video. Only in the last few months have mainstream companies begun handling PCI-e in mainstream products.

True, but Banjo wants some real gaming performance and while I am sure there will be some integrated video cards and AGP cards that technically have support for DirectX10, I don't think there will be too many AGP cards truly capable of running DirectX10 games without changing all the settings to 'Ugly' or running DirectX9 emulation.

Banjo-

The 7800GS is definitely the best you can do with your current AGP I'd say, though I'm not sure if you will get a full two years of happy gaming out of it as the 7800 generation is already a year old. My FX 5900 Ultra in the computer I just replaced sure didn't like F.E.A.R. even at 640x480 (otherwise known as 'butt-Ugly') and everything else in that computer was top notch as of two years ago when I built it.

I'd seriously consider saving that $300 and putting it towards a new computer though. I was just looking at budget premium gaming the other day and this is the rig I put together in my imagination:

$350 for an EVGA 7800GT - $20 Mail-In Rebate, and they currently have a promotion when you buy one of these video cards, you get an EVGA nForce4 SLI motherboard. Nothing amazing but will get the job done, and basically costs about $40 (the difference in price between the EVGA video card and a cheaper 7800GT)

$300 for an AMD64 X2 +3800, Dual core and crazy overclocking

$155 for 2x1GB of Corsair Value RAM that you can run on a divider or

$200 for 2x1GB of any decent RAM you want, Corsair, OCZ Gold, etc.

Throw it in together with your current harddrives, case, etc, and you've got a pretty decent gaming rig that you can throw in a second GPU down the road (or a better one since you have PCI-Express) and you can upgrade to a more powerful socket 939 CPU when they all become dirt cheap after the introduction of the AM2 socket. Or just wait until AM2 comes out and then all the nForce4 boards and 939 processors will just get cheaper and cheaper.

Anywho, I'm not trying to tell you what to do if you are really happy with what you have now, just throwing that out there as an alternative that isn't dreadfully more expensive.

I hear what your saying bro but dude im a married man with a 3 year old son and if I dropped a grand on a new rig i'd be a divorced father....lol.

I like taking it slow and being a few years behind the times, it keeps me out of the poorhouse and also married :D

PS very nice rig BTW