Sign in to follow this  
wangahrah

Newly switched to DFI

howdy-

some are calling me a sellout, but im just thinking of myself as a reverse switcher...

i've used macs all my 20 years...at least, as quick as my fingers were able to push down a mac plus's keyboard years ago, and recently i let go my overclocked dual G4 machine in favor of a PC to run my engineering programs, and more importantly to me, games.

i recently built the PC in my sig, and so far i've been having a blast. overclocking for me with the G4 meant taking it apart and soldering/desoldering contacts. puttin a little more voltage into it for stability meant more soldering. running hot/unstable meant pulling back out the old soldering oron. so this is all quite a pleasant experince...this whole 'bios' thing is still moderately alien to me...as is windows as a whole, but i'm quickly adjusting and playing around a lot. i grabbed a copy of FEAR, and black and white....and, WOW. i dont think i miss my G4 as much as I thought I would! i don't want to be scolded about how my system really isnt stable yet....but going from 2.0ghz to 2.6ghz so easily was thrilling, especially seeing the visible results. ill take my time stabilizing and tweaking, but a guy's got to get some joy out of the novelty.

i'm sure i'll have tons of dumb questions, and i haven't asked any dumb ones yet thanks to that excellent search bar ;). just to break the ice...uh, can i pull the generic psu out of my friends pc and run my lanparty off of it?? i was also wondering how you guys felt about value RAM. now that common questions are out of the way... :D

anyways, i tweak enough that i'll probably have some serious problems that i caused myself within the next few weeks. looking forward to participating in the good times here.

michael and the new baby, Maybe.

Well to know if you should use the "old generic PSU" I need to know how much juice it puts out and what kind of connectors it has. If its not at least 400 Watts id say no, just buy yourself a decent powersupply off of Newegg or something.

Value ram is still up in the air for me, I think that some of the expensive RAM is overhyped a bit, but you do get what you pay for.

Well to know if you should use the "old generic PSU" I need to know how much juice it puts out and what kind of connectors it has. If its not at least 400 Watts id say no, just buy yourself a decent powersupply off of Newegg or something.

Value ram is still up in the air for me, I think that some of the expensive RAM is overhyped a bit, but you do get what you pay for.

It was a joke.............

Wangahrah,

As others have said, welcome to DFI Street and to using PC computers in general. I was a big fan of Macs myself back in the 80's and 90's. I used them for music compositions and just everyday purposes. When it came time to really put out the money for my own system for music pursuits and gaming I realized how much more flexible and cheap PCs are. Overclocking them is very fun indeed and so far this obsession has been kind to me. However, a word of caution... do your homework! Your components for your current system seemed good. You've probably noticed from reading the forum here that one has to have a certain quality of components to do the job for overclocking, and to maintain that overclock. Power supplies, cpu, motherboard, ram etc. all play a role. Anyhoo.... have fun!