Sign in to follow this  
Metalex

Can't get XP x64 to work

I've tried installing XP64 again, after I couldn't get it to work a few months back. Did this yesterday with no luck.

Originally, I was getting blue screens during the install process and I suspected it was down to the F6 SATARAID driver that I'd downloaded from the DFI site. Anyway, I gave up trying and left it.

I tried again yesterday, but this time I downloaded the latest XP64 nForce4 drivers (6.69) from nVidia (here), and extracted the SATARAID driver (5.52) from them. I got further this time, in that XP64 installed OK, but when it loads for the first time after installation, my system resets itself on the XP64 load screen. I get a flash of a bluescreen before it resets, but it doesn't stay long enough to read anything.

Strangely, in XP32, I tried using the latest 5.52 driver extracted from nForce4 XP32 drivers 6.70 (here), and it causes a similar problem. Bluescreen before it can enter Windows. I have to use an older version for it to work (5.18).

Unfortunately, none of the older versions seem to work for me in XP64. I downloaded DFI's latest XP64 F6 RAID driver (5.34, dated 2005/07/22) from their website again (here), and it complains about missing file NVRAID.CAT when installing Windows. Sure enough, there is no NVRAID.CAT on the disk! :rolleyes:

Any ideas people? I appreciate this is a longish post, so please let me know if you need anything clarifying. Help much appreciated.

I tried again yesterday, but this time I downloaded the latest XP64 nForce4 drivers (6.69) from nVidia (here), and extracted the SATARAID driver (5.52) from them. I got further this time, in that XP64 installed OK, but when it loads for the first time after installation, my system resets itself on the XP64 load screen. I get a flash of a bluescreen before it resets, but it doesn't stay long enough to read anything.
Look here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=352404

Strangely, in XP32, I tried using the latest 5.52 driver extracted from nForce4 XP32 drivers 6.70 (here), and it causes a similar problem. Bluescreen before it can enter Windows. I have to use an older version for it to work (5.18).
Look here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51140&st=0

CU

Fernando

RAID seems like it's a pain for at least half the folks.

Either XP or x64, same thing. 50% of the guys going through extreme Agony.

Fernando's work on slipstreaming is excellent (have it bookmarked) and is really the way to go. But those two floppys should get ya up and running for now.

AG has stated a 100 times that DFI doesn't offer support for the new OS.

You can probably find answers/drivers for most x64 questions at www.planetamd64.com. Most of the DFI guys dual boot over there.

AG has stated a 100 times that DFI doesn't offer support for the new OS.

You can probably find answers/drivers for most x64 questions at www.planetamd64.com. Most of the DFI guys dual boot over there.

Thing is, it should be Nvidia offering support on these drivers, not DFI.

To be completely honest, I can't wait until Intel release a competitive chipset/CPU combo. You just don't get these sort of issues with their chipset drivers etc. They just work. AMD has always been let down by poor chipset/driver support.

Thing is, it should be Nvidia offering support on these drivers, not DFI.

To be completely honest, I can't wait until Intel release a competitive chipset/CPU combo. You just don't get these sort of issues with their chipset drivers etc. They just work. AMD has always been let down by poor chipset/driver support.

This is a joke right? nVidia has the best chipset/driver support on the market today. AMD realy doesn't have much say in the process. They just make the CPU's. Also, there are issues with every motherboard with every chipset from every manufacturer. To say that all the others "just work" isn't really true. I bet you can goto any other forums and find that isn't true.

I can claim that these boards "just work" because I have built 5 system with them and each one has worked absolutely perfectly. No issues, no tweaking. Right out of the box, BOOM, it worked. As you can see on these forums, not everyone here has built the perfect box.

What you say may be true for you, but not the rest of the world.

Anyways, the problem you are experiencing is partially Microsoft's fault. Windows requires that drivers be "properly" signed. For some reason, Microsoft Windows does not think the nVidia RAID drivers are the correct drivers for the device so Windows tries to load its own drivers. This results in a BSOD and Reboot.

There is a solution to this problem and it has been posted here almost daily but here it is again.

Get nLite.

http://www.nliteos.com/index.html

Follow these instructions exactly.

For 32Bit Windows:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51140

For 64Bit Windows:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=50659

Download and Slipstream SP2 into 32bit XP if you don't already have it. For 64bit Windows, you don't need to worry about it.

This process works if the instructions are precisely followed and it has been tried and tested by many.

This is a joke right? nVidia has the best chipset/driver support on the market today. AMD realy doesn't have much say in the process. They just make the CPU's. Also, there are issues with every motherboard with every chipset from every manufacturer. To say that all the others "just work" isn't really true. I bet you can goto any other forums and find that isn't true.

I can claim that these boards "just work" because I have built 5 system with them and each one has worked absolutely perfectly. No issues, no tweaking. Right out of the box, BOOM, it worked. As you can see on these forums, not everyone here has built the perfect box.

What you say may be true for you, but not the rest of the world.

Anyways, the problem you are experiencing is partially Microsoft's fault. Windows requires that drivers be "properly" signed. For some reason, Microsoft Windows does not think the nVidia RAID drivers are the correct drivers for the device so Windows tries to load its own drivers. This results in a BSOD and Reboot.

There is a solution to this problem and it has been posted here almost daily but here it is again.

Get nLite.

http://www.nliteos.com/index.html

Follow these instructions exactly.

For 32Bit Windows:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51140

For 64Bit Windows:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=50659

Download and Slipstream SP2 into 32bit XP if you don't already have it. For 64bit Windows, you don't need to worry about it.

This process works if the instructions are precisely followed and it has been tried and tested by many.

As I said, AMD are being let down by nVidia. I don't blame AMD. As you know, a lot of people are having this problem, and nVidia still have not sorted it. It's six months since I originally suffered the problem, and nothing has changed. Of course I can't speak for everyone else, I'm merely frustrated at my own experience with AMD third-party chipset support. I have always had frustrating problems of some sort. Admittedly, I'm sure Intel have problems as well. I was just frustrated over something that should be simple and hassle-free.

I even followed nVidia's instructions on extracting the RAID drivers from their latest nForce drivers for both XP32 and XP64. Both sets gave me the blue screen. I had to download one of the versions that soundx98 pointed me to (from planetamd64.com). Why can't nVidia put a working version on their website?

I'm sure the solution you posted works all well and good and I truly appreciate your help, but it seems like a lot of trouble for something that should be extremely simple.