Sign in to follow this  
bigkibby

3DMark06 Score......

Greetings,

I have been busy putting my rig together, and boy have I done a lot of reading here. Followed all the great advise in all the links. My first real stumbling block was realizing that my memory needed to be set to 2T! Otherwise I couldn't OC one bit, making me crazy for the better part of a day- until I found the answer.

My question is this.... I ran a 3dmark 06 on my last Nforce2 rig with a mobile athlon XP at 2.4 Ghz, all other equipment same as below, and I got a CPU score of 890 in that section. With my Athlon 64 2800 at 2.16 Ghz I scored a 840 in the CPU section. The shader scores were a little higher on the A64, but the CPU score was lower.

Since the new system has 1MB L2 cache, and a faster bus, etc., I can't see the CPU score being lower than the Athlon XP's. But I don't Know, and that is why I'm asking you all. Does this seem right?

Any feedback would be most appreciated. I am still tweaking the chip, and memory. I had all this stuff in a Chaintech vnf3-250 a month ago and I was able to hit a 285 MHz X 8 top end. I know this board has the capability to do that. Now comes the hard part of getting it there! The last of the tweaks are always the most frustrating.

Thanks for any advise or feedback, lots of helpful people here.

Kibby

hey guys, what about the new 7800GS CO (460/1350)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130272

i've got an ATI X800XT-PE mod (520/1150) and a new nf3 754 w/Newark 4000 and h20 i'm building right now. i'm wondering if i should sell my X800XT-PE for the 7800GS CO ...even tho i'm an ATI fan, the 7800GS has hardware VS/PS 3.0 and is sposed to be 100% Vista DX10 compatible. even tho the 7800GS is a DX9.0L it's got what it needs to be DX10 compatible. it's 319USD

any info on this card? my X800XT-PE does not have hardware VS/PS 3.0 so it chugs with heavy shader models.

the hardware PS/VS 3.0 will surely make a difference in shader intensive games of the future and thats where our game engines our headed with DX10.

this is what is making me wonder if i should sell my X800XT-PE while the sellings good and grab the top-0-line vid card b/c of it new VS/PS hardware rendering capabilities.

does anyone have any info or experience with these two cards in AGP form?

TGM

From Annandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2686&p=1

With the Radeon X850 XTPE holding the top spot on AGP hardware up until now, NVIDIA hasn't had a solid high performance AGP showing since the power hungry 6800 Ultra. With prices on the aging, high-end 6 series parts absurdly high, it is quite nice to see an AGP 7 series part show up with good performance, lower power requirements, better features and a friendlier price tag, at about $300. Even though the X850 XTPE is generally faster than the new NVIDIA part, the price tag is a little steeper as well, at about $400. This leaves ATI holding onto a claim for the fastest AGP solution out there, but the feature set of the 7 series part is a bit more refined than that of the venerable X850.

Along with high performance (for an AGP system), the 7800 GS brings a more efficient architecture to the platform. With the math revisions and added features of the 7 series, per clock and per watt performance is increased over the 6 series parts. Transparency AA might not be very performance-friendly on newer games, but older titles and CPU limited games will certainly benefit from enabling it. Other features, like SM3.0, are also an advantage, as most of the ATI AGP hardware still doesn't support this. It remains to be seen what ATI will do in response to this move by NVIDIA, but the fact that there are AGP versions of the X1600 available indicates that ATI hasn't completely pulled out of the platform yet.

Last post.... Have fun...

hey guys, what about the new 7800GS CO (460/1350)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814130272

i've got an ATI X800XT-PE mod (520/1150) and a new nf3 754 w/Newark 4000 and h20 i'm building right now. i'm wondering if i should sell my X800XT-PE for the 7800GS CO ...even tho i'm an ATI fan, the 7800GS has hardware VS/PS 3.0 and is sposed to be 100% Vista DX10 compatible. even tho the 7800GS is a DX9.0L it's got what it needs to be DX10 compatible. it's 319USD

I was thinking it was like the 6800Ultra but it's not:Ultra vs GS and more benchmarks.

Edit: You know, looking at that pathetic HSF on the 7800GS I bet if you put it under a healthy water block or a massive copper HSF you could easily get way over 500MHz out of it!!!

Here's another links showing the 7800GS GPU's overclockability with the stock HSF.

7800GS at 490 and 7800GS at 495

Looking at the core potential on the 7800GS the R481 is no match for it. I'm hoping this 7800GS move will force ATI to release an AGP version of the R520/580 (X1800XT/X1900XT) soon.

Good price at Newegg by the way.

Thanks again for the help,

To Album leaf,

I know there is no dual channel on this Sig board, the question was about my last Nforce board, which has dual channel.

Hello Mistress,

I had to run 2T, otherwise the system (at 1T) would go into a boot up/post loop displaying "Detecting Array" over and over. Wouldn't boot to Windows until I changed to 2T. At 1T, with the ram at it's stated specs 8-3-4-3, divider at 166, volts at 2.6 to 2.9, I couldn't OC even 10 Mhz off the stock 200 on CPU.

I read (forgot which thread) that 2 sticks of 1 gig, in slots 1 and 3, would need to be run at 2T, and sure enough once I did that I was able to achieve a fair OC. I say fair because I had this stuff all running in the VNF3-250(before it's power management system went cooky-replaced for sig DFI board) at 2.28 Ghz very stable. Much better CPU score in 3dmark06 with that board too.

I'm confident with more reading, Ram tweaking, and advise from people willing to help rather than classy lady, I will get there again. (I had to bag the 4000 idea for a while, old "Clutchie Magoo" in my Jetta decided to start slipping. Gonna have to fix that first.)

So Mistress, how in the world am I gonna get back to 1T, and OC, Any suggestions. I can post here all the currrent settings for my memory, if that would help and you are willing to look at them.

I like the 7800GS, it definitely is king of the hill if you are looking into the future for shading capabilities and DX10. You have a nice card already, and maybe the prices will come down to reality on the 7800. But man it is hard to wait for prices to come down! and sometimes they don't.

Anyway, all input from whomever will be appreciated. Thanks!

Kibby

Max Async and read Preable will help you to get back to 1T, loosen Max Async to 8 or even 9 nanoseconds and read preamble to 5.5. I don't know if the gigaram uses Samsung UCCC but if it does find the thread G.Skill or other UCCC at 260+ and in there is the timings I used on my NF3 with 2 X 1gig at 270 1T

Edit:: Here's the link to my post in that thread

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...82&postcount=44

CPDMF,

Thank you for the advise, and the link!

I tried adjusting the Max Async and Preamble as you suggested but no luck, that was before the link. I will try those settings in your link next to see what I get.

Memory Chips - I don't know? I will take the heat spreader off the ram to see what chips it is using as well.

I hope I don't crap out the fresh windows XP install by tweaking the memory so much. But after all, isn't that the love/hate (mostly hate) we all go through sometimes with a tricky build!!!!

Thanks again and all advise/tips welcome!

Kibby

11:00 am PT ****I tried the settings in post #44, but had no luck. The only changes I made were to change the mem divider to lessen the freq. tried 9/10 and 05/06, and upped the voltage to 3.0 all failed. Also the multiplier is 8 in this case not 10. Keeps going into a boot loop saying "Detecting Array" reboot, loop, etc.

Then I lowered the FSB to 260 then 250 still no luck at 1T timing. Keeps going into a boot loop saying "Detecting Array" reboot, loop, etc.

At this point should I try moving the memory around to slots 1 and 2, or 2 and 3? They are currently in 1 and 3. I think the memory itself is ok, as I have run lots of tests on it in the past with no errors, and it will run at 2T on this board OK.

12:30 pm PT*****Based closely around the Memory timings in post 44 with my timing back to 2T I have been able to achieve a 287 X 8 FSB putting me back to 2.3Ghz as I was running before YAY! :nod:

I am running some stability tests to see how the performance is and such. Maybe it just can't run at 1T. So my new question is this. What is the major signifigance of running 1T as opposed to 2T in day to day apps and games?????

Any thoughts greatly accepted.

Thanks Kibby

You'll never even notice running 2T, what you want to avoid is combining Low mem speeds with loose timings at 2T, that will kill you in terms of performance, but you have that pretty well covered.

All my testing with that memory was done with a Socket 754 Venice, E6. It's more than likely it is the difference in memory controllers that is keeping you at 2T. 287 with 2 gigs is doing pretty dang well 2T or not.