Dual Core Problem

mudpark41

I am running an Opty 165. I am trying to retest it for Prime95 stability. It can run 2 instances of Shared Core Prime Small FFT for 24 hours. This stresses both core both each core with work on each Prime running.

When I set Sp2004(New version of Prime95) to no affinity so that each core is loaded speratly the Core initalized first will just crash.

For instance I was at 295x9 = 2665mhz. I ran 2 instances of Prime95(Sp2004) and started core 0 first. The Prime on Core 0 just crashed after 28 minutes while Core 1 ran for 7 hours untill I stopped it.

Then I again with the computer set at 285x9 = 2565mhz. I ran 2 instances again with no affinity set and I started the Sp2004 on Core 1 first. Core 1 crashed (by crash I mean Sp2004 does not report and error but the program freezes and stops loading the core) after 1 hour and 20 minutes and Core 0 ran for 4 hours untill I stopped it.

I have no Idea why a different core would fail based on which Prime gets started first. I am running a DFI nf4-D.

HTT = 295/285

LDT = 3x

LDT Voltage = 1.4

vCore = 1.52

vNbridge = 1.7

Memory = 189 mhz Highest (It is not the problem I think. Memtest Ran for 7 hours without an error)

Divider = 133

Any Ideas?

one core is stronger than the other, a common problem with dual cores. It sometimes is due to the IHS not making good contact with that particular core and also the fact that, each core reacts differently to voltages, clock speed...ect. Just like how no two CPU's are the same, no two cores are exactly the same.

My #0 core is weaker than my #1 core at all times. Burn-in while undervolting has helped alot. Core 0 would fail in dual prime95 at 2700mhz with 1.485v at first, but after some lengthy burn-in, i got it stable, then i droped vcore to 1.475......burned-in.....for two days...then got it stable there, then droped to 1.456v......did the same thing, now i'm at 1.450v and am still burning in. I'm shooting for 1.425v@2700mhz. Then i will work my way upward(upwards htt) back up to 1.485v. Hopefully i can hit 2850-2900mhz with 1.485-1.50v.

On a side note, core 1 will boot into windows and prime at [email protected] as you can see, the is a big difference between the two.

CJ

EDIT: i just read your post again. Sounds like you are pushing the CPU too far, to fast. Try getting it stable at a lower clock speed, with stock vcore...burn-in and do as i said earlier.

Thanks for the help so far racinjimy and teamxrsx. Only problem I found with Angrys Dual Prime Guide is that he does not include the password for Prime to enable level 10 priority level.

I am going to try running dual prime95 Not Sp2004 and see if I can get it to run without a program crash.

A high priority doesn't allow other processes that are running to interfere with Prime (ex. screensavers, firewalls, etc).

would running prime on a low priority run the risk of failing because other processes were allowed to supercede prime?

CJ

would running prime on a low priority run the risk of failing because other processes were allowed to supercede prime?

CJ

Yes. I have had systems stable for hours on end with a low Prime Priority and when switched to level 10 failed in minutes. Although this does not happen often it does happen.

Also using Vanilla Prime 95 instead of Sp2004 seems to have fixed my problem as I had prime running for 3 hours and 40 minutes on both cores without a crash.