Temperatures Concerns? Opty165 + Water

k2uza

I have a dual-core Opteron 165 running at ~2504Mhz. Under full load (dual Prime + OCCT) mbm reports temps around 52-55c. Is that too high? I'm running a Koolance PC3-426BK watercooling rig with a Koolance CPU-300-H06 CPU block. The cpu voltage is at 112 percent on a DFI Expert mobo. The temps I'm getting seem high for the voltage. Should I reseat the block using newer thermal paste? Or is that typical for the range. It just seems that everyone is running these cpu's in the 2.6 - 2.7 range w/ the amount of voltage I am using and they are getting lower temperatures. I'm kinda stuck with the case, but I wouldn't be above investing in a better CPU block if one exists that fits the hosing (1.4").

Suggestions? Opinions? Am I being retarded?

BTW, thanks to everyone here at DFI-Street and xtremesystems.org. Without your guides I wouldn't be able to do anything. I've been a lurker here for a while and usually browse at least an hour a day at work since i've gotten my system so I can learn as much as possible and tweak it.

that sounds probably about right, 1/4" tubing for watercooling isnt helping at all. I was getting those temps with a maze4 1/2" tubing and a weak pump (the pump was probly the killer) I switched to a TDX and D5 pump and can push 1.7v and get 32c at idle 44-45c load (78f room temp). You probably dont want to hear this but i think you definitly need to rethink your watercooling. That setup isnt really for overclocking, more for keeping the noise down at decent temps

at 55c your starting to get into the red..... besides re-doing your whole case one thing you might try is instead of using the VID special % voltage increase use the normal VID control and try 1.45v, I noticed on my board the % voltage increases created a voltage fluctuation so you might be able to get stable at a lower voltage

I would have to disagree on the Koolance case. I think they are good for overclocking.....not great but good. I have the older model from a few years ago and it runs great. 3 fans on the radiator help it out alot i think. I have upgraded the hoses on mine to 3/8 od and a added a Zalman Waterblock ( I know using recucers will still slow the water down a little) but mine has had no problem cooling a 1.2 tbird, my 939 Winchester or my 148 opteron.

I havent done any research on the koolance line. What quality of pump do those cases have? is the pump built into the top of the case with the rad? how efficient is that block? We are cooling 2 cores at once here, the biggest killer is the small tubing it has for sure.

*edit* are you cooling just the cpu? or are you also cooling the gpu etc?

I am not sure on the new models but mine has the resivoir on the bottom of the case with 2 submersable pumps in it (koolance brand) i dont know the specs as far as gallons/per put I have had no issues. I dont have AC in my house and on 90 degree days last year my old winchester 3000 @ 1.5v maxxed about 42-44, 32-34 in the winter or cold days.

Of course i got mine of slickdeals for 99 bucks shipped so i am not complaining.

Could I just buy convertors and just change the hosing to 1/2"? It will be able to hold more water that way. But i'm not sure if the pump will like that. I might also place a fan near the radiator to dissipate the heat. I really don't want to change the case - spent too much money to do that.

If I put a fan near the radiator should I have it blowing air at it or away from it (like a cpu heatsink)?

Upgrading hoses lowered my temps but since the connectors that are part or the whole system are 1/4 then flow isnt going to increase too much it could have been the increased amount of water. The zalman water block helped alot for me.

water0hf.th.jpg

Also there were no 1/4 adapters for the zalman waterblock so i had to upgrade (and i know its not pretty but it works)

I am running a DFI ultra D and a 170 its been setup now for 3 days.

2600mhz 1.39v Danger den TDX 1/2 line 1040 pump CD bay RES Black ice 120mm heay exchanger

Flow goes

RES-PUMP-HE-CPU-RES

i have 2 120 fans on the HE one on front one on back both blowing into the case.

2 rear exhaust fans 1 rear PCI blower fan

I let ir prime for 2 hours and ran Super PI 32m my

LOADED CPU temp was 39c

PCWMI was 56

Chipset was 48

My TIM is AS 5 it is on the chipset and CPU

i would like to get a fan that blows on the PCWMI or what ever thats called its worries me that i dont have a CPU fan blowing air accross them. so this should help otherwise i am very happy with my setup

lol, i'm not even above buying another radiator and pump and just running two of them in the case. Tonight I'm going to remove the IHS on the cpu and see how that helps things. After that I'll research a new cpu block + larger hoses. Then, if I'm still not satisfied, I'll try a dual radiator + pump solution.

lol, i'm not even above buying another radiator and pump and just running two of them in the case. Tonight I'm going to remove the IHS on the cpu and see how that helps things. After that I'll research a new cpu block + larger hoses. Then, if I'm still not satisfied, I'll try a dual radiator + pump solution.

if you go with new WC forget upgrading what you have and just start from scratch

put the Koolance in the parents/GF/wife's/kids computer, something that's not O/C'd :D

if you need any WC advice check out smoken joe's THREAD although I frequent xtremesystems and less so extremeoverclocking

I took off the IHS tonight after about 15 minutes of careful work. It must have be on really horribly because I'm getting much better temperatures. Same specs, same tests (dual prime + OCCT) and I'm not hitting above 42c. Before I'd be at 50 almost instantly (and eventually it would get to 53c).

Now, it takes a solid minute to make it's way from 26c to 42c when under full load. Now, granted this is only for about 15 minutes prime. I'll let it run for the rest of the nite and update this post. I still have some work to do. The washers need to be sanded down more since the CPU Block isn't on tight enough - I can relatively easily move it.

Update: part of the problem could also be that I used TOO much AS paste.

I have a dual-core Opteron 165 running at ~2504Mhz. Under full load (dual Prime + OCCT) mbm reports temps around 52-55c. Is that too high? I'm running a Koolance PC3-426BK watercooling rig with a Koolance CPU-300-H06 CPU block. The cpu voltage is at 112 percent on a DFI Expert mobo. The temps I'm getting seem high for the voltage. Should I reseat the block using newer thermal paste? Or is that typical for the range. It just seems that everyone is running these cpu's in the 2.6 - 2.7 range w/ the amount of voltage I am using and they are getting lower temperatures. I'm kinda stuck with the case, but I wouldn't be above investing in a better CPU block if one exists that fits the hosing (1.4").

Suggestions? Opinions? Am I being retarded?

BTW, thanks to everyone here at DFI-Street and xtremesystems.org. Without your guides I wouldn't be able to do anything. I've been a lurker here for a while and usually browse at least an hour a day at work since i've gotten my system so I can learn as much as possible and tweak it.

Hi K2uza!,

read this and let me know if this could help you...

Re: Koolance modification

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are running a great overclock on that 3000!

My ambient temp is 21 C and at full load my temps are between 39 and 40 C. At full load in the summer my CPU never got above 44 C.

My 3500 winnie is not overclocking as well as your chip. I am at 260X10 @1.6Vcore with ram running 1:1 @ 2.5-3-3-8. I am also overclocking and water cooling my BFG 6600 PCIE card, and of course the NF4 Chipset. My video card does not OC as well as yours either running it now at 585 Mhz for the core and 1.17 Ghz for the memory. If I push it to 600, I start to get problems.

I am going to look into adding some fans to my system as you did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSlag

Hi Tony!,

Changes are interesting because with mod my water temp in idle never goes above 2° C over the ambient temp and under a 100% full load with Prime 95 torture test never goes over 4°-5° C over ambient temp.

My CPU is an A64 3000+ Venice core (E6 revision) that is overclocked at 2.700Mhz with a FSB of 300Mhz * 9 @ 1.62VCore with RAM @ 300 Mhz with timings 2.5-4-4-8, CPC 1T. This is a 50% overclock that dissipate 139W only by the CPU! Consider that i've watercooled VGA (Albatron 6600GT with core overclocked from 500Mhz to 650Mhz and onboard GDDR3 memory from 1000Mhz to 1320Mhz!) and the MB chipset nForce 4.

In a room with 22°C the CPU idle @ 24-25° C and work under full load @ 41-42° C even after 24h of Prime 95 torture test! I think that this is a simple but efficient mod, and an important thing... system is @ 1 Koolance fans pre-set and is very quiet! Even on summer my CPU didn't reach 50° C but stays @ 46°-47° C under full load! I'm so satisfied! What do you think about this mod/results?!?! See you and thanks for your time!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony_M

So fans below the radiator and above in a push pull configuration.

What kind of temp changes at load did you see with this mod?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSlag

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony_M

Interested in knowing about your mod info. I have the PC3 420 (the Chenming case) been interested in adding a second radiator.

Hi Tony!,

i have a Koolance PC2-650 case that is not in production now. My mod is quite simple:

1) I have positioned the 3 8x8 fans with airflow exhausting orientation from radiator to the ambient,

2) I have cutted the plastic air-ductor (that is positioned under the radiator) with the shape of 2 12x12 fans and i have applied 2 silent fans from Vantec with exhausting orientation from inside of case to the radiator.

This simple mod has increased so much the efficiency and the system is "cool and quiet"!

Have a nice day!

Realslag