4 x 512 MB Ballistix on RDX200

Hi there,

As we speak I'm still running my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum board (but I've just received my DFI RDX200 CF-DR this morning (Dutch local time :nod: ), so please don't hold that against me). Now I'm just waiting for my PCI-E graphics card which should be arriving tomorrow.

One of the reasons I chose the RDX200 CF-DR is because of the ability to run 4 x double sided DDR @ 400 MHz and 1T command rate. I have had the 4 x 512 MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 lined up and waiting to be put to use for some time now, and I really didn't want to replace them with some other 2 x 1 GB kit.

Now, my question(s):

besides running 400 MHz @ 1T, what can I expect from the board running @ 2T? Let's say I will run my cpu @ 10 x 280, which I know my memory and cpu both can do. Will the four pieces of DRAM @ 2T behave 'normally' on this board and run at 280 MHz?

Also, will my Thermalright XP-120 fit on the board? It isn't listed in the Thermalright compatibility list.

All help and experience is greatly appreciated... :)

Regards,

QV

*edit*

Another question: which is the prefered SATA controller (ATI SB450 or Sil3114) performancewise or otherwise? For now I'm only using a single Raptor setup.

Read Here

I haven't had much luck with overclocking it at 1T but I really dont care about 1T so I am doing 2T and that's working out well. I can't give actual results yet as I had to reformat my HDDs so that I could use the SmartGuardian program again. I will try to give some actual results later on when I get things going again.

It can handle 1T at DDR400 if thats all you want. Just make sure you specify the tref else it will make the ram operate at 133MHz instead of 200Mhz.

As for the RAID controller, I have my two 120GB SATAs on the ATI chip yet I had to use the Sil3114 ROM to make it work, I am not sure if that is the way it works...maybe someone with more knowledge of this board can fill us in on this, I am very curious as well.

Thnx for your reply and I read your topic...

If possible I would like to keep the 1T command rate, because it's way faster than 2T at the same frequency. First I will try the 1T @ 200 MHz (meaning DDR400) setting. But if 2T at a high frequency is a possibility indeed, it might give better performance than 1T @ 200 MHz. The frequency should be above 270 MHz or so (my guess) to overcome the 2T command rate.

About the SATA controllers: the Sil3114 F6 driver is the only one available for download, so my guess is that the ATI SB450 has native SATA support so it can detect SATA drives without a driver. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi there,amd 64 has internal memory controller it does not run memory @1T if installed 4 sticks of memory I know couse had it it runs @2T with 4 sticks

for hard dics or raid U should use ati south bridge even tho u can only create raid with 2 drives 1-2 or 3-4 sil 3114 very slow u shoul use it if u need data safety mirror raid

if dfi rdx had uli south bridge i would still have it.

Thnx, I will give the controller situation some more thought. I was going to use the Silicon Image controller, but if it's slower maybe I shouldn't.

About the memory: according to Anandtech reviewing this board, 4 x double sided DRAM @ 400 MHz 1T is entirely possible. Also, they got the screens to prove it. I will try for myself soon...

Sorry for the double post, but I'm in desperate need of some help... :confused:

Just built my system , as shown in sig below. The problem is: nothing happens. DRAM and SB leds light up when I switch my power supply on, but pressing either of the POWER_ON switches results in....silence. No POST, no attempt to POST, nothing.

I have had many system boards, but this is my first DFI. Am I missing something here?

My best guess: it has something to do with the POWER_ON and POWER_OK signals between PSU and board. If it hadn't, the board would have tried to POST. I've connected my very very very reliable Enermax with the 20+4 pin combo plug, and using only the 4 pin ATX 12v plug on pins 3-4 and 7-8 of the EPS connector. That's how it should be, no?

Please help me, I've never had a DOA board in my life and I don't want this DFI to be the first...

*edit*

Shorting the POWER_ON and POWER_OK pins does something: +5v stuff works but no +12v stuff. Fans don't work, as they need more than +5v to start spinning. The board keeps trying to get things in motion. The four diagnostic leds stay on, indicating there is no power for the cpu I think.

I think this board has wrecked my Enermax with 33A @ a single 12v rail, which has been perfect for the past year or so on a system equally power hungry as this one. Seems impossible, but this board has done it I think.

Anybody any thoughts on this?

Thnx again, Maverick. I'm pleased with your help, because I haven't found the solution yet...

Nope, haven't tried the other set of 4. Several reasons:

*doesn't fit physically, because of the clip on the connector and the small heatsink in front of it. I would have to break off the safety clip to try it (I would rather not).

*the manual says to use these four pins when using a 4 pin ATX connector.

*I don't see what that would do, because the PSU isn't switching on and therefore the board isn't either. With too little 12v juice for the cpu, the board would still try to POST but would fail the cpu test.

For myself I've narrowed it down to two options (let's see if you/others agree):

1) the motherboard and the PSU are not compatible, due to a strange POWER_OK signal from my PSU (possibly way under or above +5v). Possibly the motherboard is looking for something else than +5v?

2) my PSU is wrecked. Worked fine this morning and hasn't been powered on properly since then, even in the new configuration. Also, this particular Enermax has protection written all over it (not literaly off course), so damage due to overcurrent or short circuit is virtually impossible. Furthermore, it can deliver over 30A on all rails and it truly delivers what the specs show.

As you might have thought, I think the first option is the more plausible one. Is there a known abnormality with POWER_ON and/or POWER_OK signals on DFI boards? Or maybe on my PSU that I am not aware of?

Just to answer ur other question. Im sure the Thermalright-XP120 will fit. I got a Zalman Cu-7700 to fit perfectly with no problems. Based on how wide and low the Zalman is, im assuming the Thermalright will fit fine depending on your case.

If you running HTT and mem at 280Mhz then im sure 2T will be stronger than 200 at 1T.

I have tested 4dimms at 1T on a friends board. We only managed to get 201 at really tight timings. Im sure if you had BH-5 chips at 3.5V+ then you could pass 204MHz HTT at really tight timings. Also chipset voltages must be increased to get anywhere. I find the board has serious voltage drops. But upping the chipset voltages, etc makes this board stable as anything. Havent cleared the cmos once. Board has frozen at windows start but never had to clear the cmos to post the board. Always managed to get into the BIOS and change settings.

These boards are power hungry and because your PSU isnt ATX2, could be the reason behind the power supply issues.

Thnx man, the XP-120 does fit indeed without any problems. I've had some problems with that on my previous board, so I was just checking.

As for the mem, I will find out as soon as I get the board running and post the results here. I will probably end up buying another PSU, so this may take a couple of days. The Micron chips don't really like extreme voltages, so I don't expect to get anywhere above 200 MHz using 1T and fast timings. Not a problem though if they can do it under 2T.

I know these boards are power hungry, but my PSU delivers a max of 396 Watts @ 12v which is more than most 550 or 600 Watt PSUs can do. A max of 432 Watts @ 12v is the most I have seen in a PSU, but that's the not so reliable 600 Watt Noisetaker.

In my opinion it can't be a power shortage...

*edit*

I borrowed a Seasonic S12 430W from a friend and had the system running (without a monitor that is), checking the basic components like it's supposed to. I will go get myself a Seasonic S12 500W tomorrow.

So, I guess this board definitely needs an ATX2.0 PSU and doesn't work with an ATX1.3 PSU...

For those who care, a little update in the situation:

I bought the Seasonic S12 500, so now my system is running stable with the memory (4 x 512 MB Ballistix) @ 400 MHz 2-2-2-7 1T. I still can't believe this board can do it, because AMD says it is not possible...

My next question (help is still appreciated :) ):

the boards BIOS (10/11/2005) is giving me different voltage readouts than Smart Guardian is. Which is the more reliable one? The BIOS is closer to the default values, Smart Guardian gives a couple of tenths lower on Vcore and Vmem (1,36v and 2,72v when I put them at 1,4v and 2,8v manually).

Thnx in advance...