Current DIY-Street Video Tutorials (updated 5/2/2006 Evercool VC-RE in

Angry_Games

Bout the IHS removal? is it ok to place a heavy hsf ontop of it with the core being naked? Or is everyone who does this mod using water?

I use SLK-948U Thermalright heatsinks. The weight of the heatsink is not as important as the distribution of the weight as well as the balance of the sink.

sinks like clip-on sinks (thermalright XP-90 or 120 etc) are bad bad ideas on bare heatsinks because you have to force pressure to one side or another during the clip-on process (however there's ways to bolt them on, just search around).

Most of us use water on bare heatsinks...ie: most of those crazy enough to remove the IHS, are guys who are already extreme and will be into watercooling ;)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Synchronize
I use SLK-948U Thermalright heatsinks. The weight of the heatsink is not as important as the distribution of the weight as well as the balance of the sink.

sinks like clip-on sinks (thermalright XP-90 or 120 etc) are bad bad ideas on bare heatsinks because you have to force pressure to one side or another during the clip-on process (however there's ways to bolt them on, just search around).

Most of us use water on bare heatsinks...ie: most of those crazy enough to remove the IHS, are guys who are already extreme and will be into watercooling ;)

K thx for the advice, just one more question. Is it necessary to use a razor blade like the one you used in the tut?

Cos i'm gonna try using a retractable knife(stanley knife over here) it looks just like this main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3526

You can adjust the blade to a safe point so that you can't go too far into the side of the proc, killing something you shouldn't. My only worry is that the blade is a little thick.

blade is too thick

I've tried one like that, a real razor blade for carpet knives, an extremely thin Xacto knife blade, etc

I've tried just about everything

Go to Walgreens or Eckerds or whatever drugstores they have in London that has shaving/razor blades, toothpaste, a pharmacy, bandages etc (not sure if you know what Walgreens or Eckerds stores are like in the USA)

buy double-edged razor blades

they are extremely cheap (I think i got a 5 or 10 pack of them for $2.00 or something)

trust me...it is the easiest thing you can do ;)

Guest Synchronize

K i bought those razors and sliced of the IHS, now temps are amazingly better. I thought my temps were wrong before. On load was 61c, now it's 46c load, wow and i just primed at 3Ghz for 9Hrs 30mins. Something i couldn't do before, THX AG!

the long one near the middle-to-end is the VW commercial (where the windshield wipers and baskteball bouncing etc is right in time to the music)

is that the one you are talking about?

Yeah, if I can find that sound byte I will earn some brownie points :-P Those are ALWAYS a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, it's like, 70's music... but with BASS! O.O

Good tutorials, Angry. I remember I76, by the way... got a demo with Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries, if I recall... which I played like... everyday on my first real gaming PC (I was a kid so calm down here: It was a gateway Pentium II).

• 2 weeks later...