Network/NIC's

catkicker

I thinking about getting a NIC. Can some of you who use them steer me towards a

TOP quality/performance one. If I can get a few suggestions I can do some research on them and make a informed decesion on one.

Thank's

I use Intel and 3Com 10/100 PCI NIC cards in my main rig, my vid workstation rig, and my server since these are the 3 most important computers I have ever owned

I also use PCI sound in all of them...I use NOTHING integrated on my most important rigs except the onboard controllers for hdd's.

you can probably find a very nice Intel 10/100 Pro NIC (even a 1000) for cheap

• 6 months later...

I was helping a friend transfering a file to his other computer via 100Mb NIC, and it wasn't very pretty at all. Trying to transfer over a 4.7GB iso file and well, said transfer will take a few hours. I was like.. um NO!

Since the other machine that he uses don't have a 1000Mb NIC, he was looking at getting one.

I can't really find any solid performance tests between 100Mb vs 1000Mb. It should be 10x performance, but that is in theory.

How long would it take to transfer a 4GB file ?

Unless I am missing something, my logic goes like this:

Transfer over a USB 2 device = 480Mb/sec max, get around 15MB/sec

Firewire ?? Don't got cables, but I assume about the same as USB2?

100Mb nic =s l o w

1000Mb nic = ??

Wireless = too slow

But the fastest would be external SATA I think, but 1000Mb nic should give it a run for the $$$?

I use Intel and 3Com 10/100 PCI NIC cards in my main rig, my vid workstation rig, and my server since these are the 3 most important computers I have ever owned

I also use PCI sound in all of them...I use NOTHING integrated on my most important rigs except the onboard controllers for hdd's.

you can probably find a very nice Intel 10/100 Pro NIC (even a 1000) for cheap

Read this. RE read it. absorb it. Consider the likelyhood that HG gets checks from Intel and 3Com monthly. Chew, Swallow, Digest.

Read this. RE read it. absorb it. Consider the likelyhood that HG gets checks from Intel and 3Com monthly. Chew, Swallow, Digest.

Somehow I highly doubt that,he could have banners advertising for them if he wanted.

This was a reply by RGone,bet he ain't gettin no checks either,

Most swear by these and they whip the bandwidth of any onboard product... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833105123

I use this one NOT because anything onboard is bad but because it is faster and takes no cpu resources... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833106123

So there are tons of alternatives out there and for myself I seldom if ever use onboard nics to keep the cpu out of the mix.

RGone...

i have a 5-port SMC gigabit switch, and I never found any true differences between gigabit and 100mbit transfers

to even make gigabit function properly, you have to enable jumbo frames (at least 9000 or more), and that causes a lot of machines to lock up on the network, fail transfers, etc.

Onboard controllers are ok, and even good (the Marvell ones are great in my opinion, as are the VIA ones)

But nothing beats a true hardware NIC like an Intel Pro 10/100 or Intel Pro 10/100/1000, 3COM etc.

not no cheapo $9 NIC..those are stupid and in the same class as a 'winmodem', where the cpu has to do all the work.

A good $25+ Intel or 3Com NIC has it's own controller on the card, and the only thing the cpu is needed for is...to execute the data coming over the card hehe...its always the better solution.

Like I said..onboard is ok, and gets the job done, but as you guys know, any REAL purpose must be done with specialized equipment, and separate PCI NIC and sound and AGP/PCI-E video etc is the ONLY way to go ;)

Guest Shadowarez

lol i wasgoind to suggest the same nic, i pre orderd mine it cost me a extra $80 for Shipping better be worth it!

from what i seen it gives maybe a 10% boost in WOW and some other games, but has issues with COD2, i play wow,DOD source, HL2 Source and a few others, soi it may help

lol i wasgoind to suggest the same nic, i pre orderd mine it cost me a extra $80 for Shipping better be worth it!

from what i seen it gives maybe a 10% boost in WOW and some other games, but has issues with COD2, i play wow,DOD source, HL2 Source and a few others, soi it may help

Please please tell me you are joking.