Sign in to follow this  
Guest Modulok_merged

High end ram really worth it?

Guest Modulok

well I am rma'ing my gskill ram, cant get it stable with known stable settings, EVEN AT STOCK.

So with that ram and doing some benches I get these scores:

at 305x8

3dmark03: 16128

3dmark05: 7768

3dmark06: 4407

with stock settings for my old corsair xms 512mb pc2700 ddr333:

at 248x10

3dmark03: 15238

3dmark05: 7421

3dmark06: 3728

now you can buy the gskill for about $235 now and the corsair for about $80 and not that much difference in games, 10fps with aquamark test.

Just curious what everyone else thinks. And I know sandra and everest benches are way low...but Im just counting games, cuz thats mostly why we OC and play with these boxes.

Guest Modulok

ya well i cant unbuy the gskill pc4800 i bought, so my only choice is rma them.

I figure 2gb of ram is overkill atm, how many games use even 1gb of ram?

kinda funny that my old corsair is stable and it's not even on the compatible list of ram for the sli-dr...harharhar

Well, I have used Kingston HyperX, Crucial Ballistix, Mushkin Black Level II and OCZ Gold VX and been quite satisfied overall. That said, when I next purchase memory, it will be either OCZ Platinum EL (Rev. 2) or the Gold VX (if I can find any).

As interesting as it is, to try to track down blue screens, memory dumps, lockups, etc., I have come to the conclusion that the absolute best quality of components, are actually the cheapest in the long run. I am not a 'frame chaser', just a lazy guy that hates the BSOD. :D

Ram timings and frequency don't mean much. There's a sticky thread describing it all exactly, but what you want to do is get the most out of your CPU, regardless of what you need to do to your ram (divider, loose timings, 2T, etc). If you've got the most out of your cpu, and you still want more, then I suggest getting more ram. And ya, most newer games use more than 1gb by themselves, let alone what windows xp uses and any/all other programs you have running.