Chipset BIOS fan control

Guest Quattro_merged

Guest Quattro

I have it set to be fully on above 47, and off at 25, i figured that the mb should then linearly scale its speed/power between those two tempereaures, but this isn't happening, at 47 it spins at ~3000, then at 48 it goes up to the max of ~6000.

Ideally i would like it to spin at ~4000, as this is the speed that seems to provide the best cooling to noise ratio but this bios control only seems to have high or low.

I can do it with SmartGuardian, but i would rather have it hardware controlled.

Similar things happen with the CPU fan, is this normal? Shouldn't the change be more gradual?

I think the range is between 25 Cand 75 C regardless of where you set the fan to power on at full speed. I'm not %100 sure about this, but that's what I have noticed.

Ditch the stock fan for an Evercool VC-RE. It's pretty cheap, cools better, and is quieter.

Good luck.

Guest Quattro

Well thats annoying,

Im not too worried about the stock fan though, i seem to be one of the lucky ones for which its working fine. Idle ~45, load ~54, im happy with those temps.

If i were to do anything, it would be to use the Zalman heatsink, but at the moment ill leave well enough alone.

So can anyone else confirm this? Also, if this is true, is using Smartguardian that bad? it really does the job nicely

... is using Smartguardian that bad? it really does the job nicely

Works fine, I don't think anybody has said it needs to be hardware controlled. Only downside (if you call it that) is it may spin at a different speed until Windows loads. But big deal...:)

I'm also very happy with my switch to the VC-RE. My OEM DFI fan wasn't making any noise, but I had the m/b out of the case anyway and thought it was good of time as any to swap the chipset cooler. My chipset temps dropped to 37C idle and 43-44C load.

Guest Quattro

Im sure its very good, but we just cant get them here in New Zealand.

What is the maximum recommended chipset temp anyway? 60?

My temps dont worry me, neither does the noise, i just want to be able to control it properly.

Most of the reading I've done here at the Street indicate that 60C is alright and won't hurt anything. However, as with most things in your computer, the cooler the better.

To improve the thermal transfer efficiency of the stock cooler, you can remove it, clean thermal tape from chipset and cooler, lightly lap the stock cooler and replace using AS5 or AS Ceramique.

Guest Quattro

My chipset temps arent actually 60, i just wondered what the max would be,

Temps were 45/54, and have just recently applied AS5, but so far it hasnt made a difference, i havent tested load, but idle is still 45, i just hope it will improve after the 200 hours. I followed angrys guide, but what was strange was that the TIM on mine was silver, not yellow, and looked a lot like AS.

Who knows...

I use the bios to control my chipset fan and the fan ranges from about 2600 at 45c to about 3800 at 55c, and it is gradual.

When I was using SG, I set it to leave the chipset fan at a constant 3000rpm. I don't use SG anymore though because I like running as little as possible and I also HAVE to use SpeedFan because it talks to my LIS-2 controller that I use to run my other fans.