Sign in to follow this  
Snaxo

Advice on memory upgrade

Hi Guys,

I haven't been here in quite some time, I finished building my PC about 10 months ago and really haven't messed about much with it since.

However, I'm pretty sure I could benefit from a move to 2 GB Ram now (presume 2 x 1024 modules is best) so I'm looking for advice.

Please take a look at my sig to see what I'm running with. You'll notice I'm running with a very old Bios version (but it's stable so it's not been a problem). When i was originally setting the machine up though I do remember how sensitive it was to memory config (I went through quite a number of issues at the time - and I'd like as easy a ride as possible this time!!)

What I'm looking to understand, based on my config is,

1) Which 2 x 1024 memory modules would you recommend? I probably won't overclock but I do want as good as performance as I can from stock, obviously.

2) Should I upgrade my bios? Which version to?

3) Will the modules still need to be placed in slots 2 & 4 ? Or would 1 & 3 be possible these days (the latter would mean I wouldn't have to remove my Zalman fan first)

Is there anything else I should know? I feel as I haven't touched the thing in 9 months I've forgotten many of the things I learnt (went through!) in the first place when setting it up.

Thanks very much in advance, your help is much appreciated !

Damian

Hello,

If all is ok dont flash the BIOS.

Keep using the orange slots.

The G.Skill ZX 2x1GB kit, PC3200 2-3-2-5, with your CPU you will have to run it at 2T. (command rate/CPC = 2T)

Hello,

If all is ok dont flash the BIOS.

Keep using the orange slots.

The G.Skill HZ 2x1GB kit, PC3200 2-3-2-5, with your CPU you will have to run it at 2T. (command rate/CPC = 2T)

Thanks Sharp for your response. :-)

You also got me thinking, when you said 'with your CPU'. The other aspect I was kinda considering was a dual core AMD 3800. I presume in that case I'd definitely need to flash the bios for dual-core support.

Also, if I did that - would your memory recommendation change? (could I run 2x 1024 @ 1T?)

Many thanks

Damian

I just recently upgraded to 2X1gb kit. I went with the G.Skill PC4000 HZ's and couldn't be happier. They play nice with my 3700 SD. Plopped them in, adjusted just a few timings and they are running at rated speed and 1T command rate.

Still playing with OC but so far they hit 265 1:1 no problem and at low volts (2.53v)

Sharp - bearing in mind what I said re: possible upgrade to AMD 3800 dual-core - what would your memory recommendation be in that instance?

Many thanks!

Damian

Sign in to follow this