Sign in to follow this  
red930

For you Windows XP Pros

Ok, I'm tired of this (call me picky because I am). Basically what I want to do is be able to open up windows explorer with everything in the tree minimized EXCEPT My Computer. Whenever I open it My documents is opened and why the crap would I go into explorer if I needed that?

Anyways, make this headache go away for me...I have absolutely no clue how to do it (if it can be done)...Even making everything minimized would be a great, great help.

Make a new shortcut on your quick launch bar or on the desktop.

The properties of the shortcut should read:

Explorer C: (or whatever drive / folder you choose)

Save.

I have multiple shortcuts for each drive and specific folders.

That'll work I spose...if there isn't another way to do it.

I like having the tree there, but not having to scroll over to minimize everything so I can see all 8 drives or so that I have loaded (Lots of partitions...for various reasons) But this shortcut method appears get rid of the tree. I move files around a lot so its just easier...

I dunno, maybe I should stop being so critically anal and just use it...

Thanks for the suggestion Ace, might be the only way to simplify it.

Ok, I'm tired of this (call me picky because I am). Basically what I want to do is be able to open up windows explorer with everything in the tree minimized EXCEPT My Computer. Whenever I open it My documents is opened and why the crap would I go into explorer if I needed that?

Anyways, make this headache go away for me...I have absolutely no clue how to do it (if it can be done)...Even making everything minimized would be a great, great help.

Open Folder Options. On the File Types tab, highlight Folder and click on the Advanced button. Choose explore and hit the Set Default button. Now whenever you open My Computer you will have it that way.

Another thing I like doing is to add the Desktop toolbar to my taskbar. I will unlock the taskbar and slide it over next to the Start button. Then I will resize the Desktop toolbar just enough to show the My Computer icon before I lock the taskbar. Now whenever I want to open explorer, or should I say My Computer, I just click on the icon.

I hate that too... I have 4 pc's running...and only one expands my documents by default....bugs me too...

Didn't even realize this thread was still here, I'll be sure to try some of whats said as soon as I get this damn homework done...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :)

Guest Milkshake

Tried all windows tweaking suggestions and they didnt work.

Guest Milkshake

I figured it out:

explorer.exe /n,/e,/root,,

Yes put both those ","s in

Right click on explorer shortcuts, click properties, then where it says target, paste this

" %SystemRoot%explorer.exe /n, /e, /s " w/o the ". Needs to be done for each shortcut, ex: in start menu, quick launch etc.