Sign in to follow this  
nitemareglitch

NTLDR is missing. . .

Ok, this is the 5th time this has happened to me. This happens with stock speed also, but, has happened most often with an OC. This last time I simply had my memory at stable DDR500 settings. No OC on the CPU. After letting it run BOINC all night I wake up and there is a stop error. Ok, I shut down, reboot, NTLDR is missing, kernal corrupt blah blah blah. No reboot is possible, I have to reformat.

I am going to try a single disk (no raid 0) install tonight to see if this is the culprit in my errors.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am about ready to try these components in another board to see if this will solve my issues. So far this is the ONLY build I have had issues with, and it just so happens to be my own computer. I have never had this kinda issue with any other board., . .

It requires a Windows repair not a reformat.

Please create a signature. The info therein is helpful.

Have you checked your boot order? I've seen this messege before and inevitably the BIOS shows that both my 320GB drives are ahead of my array (for whatever reason...you'd think that DFI would have set up sata 1-4 as the first boot, then the silimage ones...whatever).

Otherwise I was getting the message when I was using a scratched install disc...

Yeah, thats was my first thought. But, I have default settings and all saved into cmos reloaded. Meh. I checked that. And my install has worked a gazillion times before. Just used it on a Soltek build and she has been up and running NON STOP since I put mine together. . .

As a system builder this is frustrating, the issues I have had with this board are unique to say the least. .. .

Believe it or not, I have run into this a lot when my memory was bad or too O/C'ed or the chips were not seated right. I had a bad stick that would give this error everytime I went 1 Mhz over 306DDR (Old MB but not the culprit). I RMA'ed the stick and never had the problem again.

Hey

This exact same thing happened to me and you nailed the problem on the head....it's overclocking....your memory is pushed too hard....try and run the memtest.....you're garanteed to have memory errors...and if you do have memory errors, when windows tries to load dll's on the memory it crashes....

sometimes it crashes so badly that it corrupts files. So sometimes it's required to use the windows installation CD to correct the issue...so my advise to you is this....go back to the drawboard and start overclocking ONLY your memory to find out what's it's MAX and then worry about correcting the windows install....

Yes, I totally did this with my memory. Passes all mem tests at ddr500 with no oc on the cpu. I even had it slightly oc'd with my cpu oc I had, and it is in the database already here.

I am installing Suse 10 as we speak, when I get home it should be finished (internet install) so, I am going to try and use the Sil chipset on this board. If my memory is fine in Memtest would it stand to be stable in Windows?

This is a tough one to get my head around.

I've experienced the same error, and I don't believe you need to repair windows. I thought that to be the case with mine and then went about copying the ntldr from my xp64 disk to the system.

I then got the same error again, which I found coincides with using the yellow sockets for memory. If you just take the memory out of the yellow and stick one in the orange, it will boot again no problem, no ntldr error. Strange :confused:

Don't know why?

RLM

Two things here. One is Format a floppy for Startup and load the NTLDR file there. Then for item two, I've gotten that message hundreds of times and when I set BIOS to stable operation the system loads and the file is, never been missing. It seems when the system becomes unstable it can't find those first couple of files and can't load as a result.

Make that dozens instead of hundreds, well anyway enough so I'm pretty certain of it.