router help

Wetchaser

For whats its worth, my router has worked exactly as angry stated with gaming mode off. Every game works so far. I download from realplayer network today at 5 mb/s. Fios is gonna change the way this nation games. Cable better get on the ball, or there gonna get left behind quick. When i called comcast to cancel my account, the guy was like "oh, you already have it installed...." He never even tried to make any free month offer or anything like that. I wonder if he would have tried to downplay the superior speed of fios, or that fact that a generator will get you back online when the power goes out? Im feeling pretty secure behind this router now, and am thinking now about how to set up a third computer as a server, and only open the required ports for each game to that computer only. Next big question is if ports are always the same for each title, then what is stopping somone from just scanning the internet for those open ports, and causing havoc thru them?

Guest Milkshake
For whats its worth, my router has worked exactly as angry stated with gaming mode off. Every game works so far. I download from realplayer network today at 5 mb/s. Fios is gonna change the way this nation games. Cable better get on the ball, or there gonna get left behind quick. When i called comcast to cancel my account, the guy was like "oh, you already have it installed...." He never even tried to make any free month offer or anything like that. I wonder if he would have tried to downplay the superior speed of fios, or that fact that a generator will get you back online when the power goes out? Im feeling pretty secure behind this router now, and am thinking now about how to set up a third computer as a server, and only open the required ports for each game to that computer only. Next big question is if ports are always the same for each title, then what is stopping somone from just scanning the internet for those open ports, and causing havoc thru them?

If you know someones IP you can scan for all open ports. That is called cracking (media labels it hacking), when you use the open ports to get into a system. Well many Web servers have security features that will help secure the port, or whatever your using be it SSH or FTP, most server apps have some type of security feature.

Whats stopping them is its illegal and there are software security features.

you can always set rules on the router to only open ports during certain times, or set the rules for which ports to open but only open them when you manually enable the rule, and when you are done with those ports, you can disable the rule and those ports will close ;)

glad to hear your new rig, your new FIOS, and your new router is working....you are happy happy now?

well, i dunno bout Eve Online as i don't play it, but i can tell you what i think about Linksys routers. i' rather use it as a door stop that a router. i've had two different linksys routers and they both gave my little issues. once i got one thing fixed i had to go fixed another and on and on. no matter what ports i opened or forwarded i could not get FTP, File Transfer, or Webcam working.

so last year when i decided to upgrade to a wireless router, i decided to go with the good ole NEATGEAR router. i bought the thing, plugged it into the wall, plugged in my cat5s and off i went; including my new wireless adaptor. i could do all the things i could never do before and without ever going into the HTML firmware, like FTP, File Transfer, IM Webcamming, etc... only things i went into the router for was to setup WAP for my wireless, which i get great reception on, and to forward a port for bit torrent, thats it, for over a year now.

anyways, thats been my experience with routers. good luck with yours

TGM