Qualifying PSU for the Ultra-D

Hey Guys, so since my crappy KWI-420WS with these specs doesnt cut it and for me not to take the risk:

Input Rating: 115V/230V~60/50Hz 8A/4.5A

OutPut: +3.3v | +5V | +12V | -12V | -5V | +5sb

28A | 35A | 15A | .8A | .5A | 3A

----------------------------------------------------

+3.3 & +5V total output 210W

----------------------------------------------------

I have to get money which Im selling my HP on ebay, info and pics here: http://mako.hawaiianjoe.com

I just saw this in the ad and was wondering if it qualifies for the ultra-d mobo (my friend works at compusa so I might get it alittle cheaper):

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...8771&pfp=BROWSE

If not then I'll probably still try getting enough for this: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec...riteria=BA21190

Thanks,

Mako3

Stay as far away from no name brand PSU's. Look for at least an Antec unit or better yet an Enermax or OCZ. You will get let down by a no name unit like you liked to. You shound never try to save money by buying a cheap PSU. Forget about the wattage and look at the 12v+ rail. Also, getting a PSU with dual 12v+ rails is much more futureproof. Look for an OCZ Modstream 520W if you are not going to run SLI. Seasonic also makes an excellent 600W PSU for SLI systems that is reasonable.

Thanks but umm so if you guys dont think the compusa psu is good, than I'll probably go with that Skyhawk because Angry says he has used them before and they are pretty good. Hopefully he will post and say something, but Im getting really really really ancious to run my New Comp with that KWI-420WS PSU that came with my case, because the problems I was having with the monitor not showing anything was fixed with my switching the red switch from 250 to 115, and then it worked. Than those lines up and down the screen that was displaying randomly went away after around 1-2 hours of resetting my cmos. So everything looked fine but I wasnt sure if it was my PSU and if I should move on with flashing my bios yet. Today I talked with a friend and he said he ran his AMD 3200+, DFI nf4 Ultra-D, FX5200, TV TUNER, 512MB PC3200, and 4 fans on a 250watt for a whole year, he said nothing happened and it ran fine sometimes slow and would crash(shutdown) about once a month.

Do you guys think I should take the risk or wait and see if my http://mako.hawaiianjoe.com HP Pavilion 160GB hdd, and 768MB of Ram will sell for atleast $300? Do you guys think I will get that much out of it?

Thanks,

Mako3

I am inclined to agree with the others, Mako3. If you can possibly afford an OCZ, Antec or Enermax, your money is well spent. You will never regret buying a good PSU.

One of the problems with no-name PSU's, is that the circuit protection is either poor or missing completely, so when they blow (as they often do), they will take out the board and peripherals as well.

I am inclined to agree with the others, Mako3. If you can possibly afford an OCZ, Antec or Enermax, your money is well spent. You will never regret buying a good PSU.

One of the problems with no-name PSU's, is that the circuit protection is either poor or missing completely, so when they blow (as they often do), they will take out the board and peripherals as well.

//signed

:nod:

I will vouch for the Skyhawk and OCZ Powerstream series.

use your current PSU...if it doesn't cut it go out and buy another one simple hey

your hardware is looking really low end there so i don't why it wouldn't run....i used an Antec SL400 Smart Power 400W PSU for a long time with DFI/Asus and had no issues.....with a setup like yours i don't think you will have problems to be honest

Ultimately, any instability you encounter from here on would be the ram or power supply having issues with the motherboard. You basically bought a corvette hoping to run on low end gasoline power (psu). If you under power your components, they will die faster.

Good luck.

Enermax-Hiper-OCZ-Sunbeam NUOO-Antec <--my choices

Not to mention you can lose more than just a PSU if a cheap no-name brand PSU fails. There's always a chance that it'll take out other components with it. I've seen many no-name PSU's take out various harware when they fail. Playing with a cheap PSU is like playing russian roulette. Are you willing to take that chance with your new investment?