Sign in to follow this  
dizman

No offense but I'm seriously not liking this Mobo!!!

ok thx :) i read in a guide on this page that if i use raid i have to install them (if i understand it right^^sometimes i misundersatnd things becouse of the language...).

thx for the advice

should i deinstall them now?

Make sure to run memtestlike with any board and double check the connection with the PSU. Modular systems give you more than double the changeof a poor connection.

Your case has only two fans one looks like it is cripled by a highly restritive air opening. Cut that away replace it with a grill and your temps might be significantly improved. If not place a small low speed case fan on that area and you temps will significantly improve.

Like anything the computer is limited by the lowest common denominator. P ut a dual core processor two video cards into a case with only one really working fan...........

I would like to see some more beta bios , then we would know that they are trying to correct some of the "known" issues .

I am starting to agree with the poster. Starts off with substandard overclocking results for a DFI mobo, then the whole SATAII issue with this motherboard. There has been only one official bios update for this board and many problems like sensor Temps that needs to be addressed. I sold a Asus A8N32 for this board becasue DFI is the overclocking king :/ same chip, same ram , same PSU and same gpu so far it has not lived up to its rep. I hope that a bios revision or 2 will solve many of these problems.

for overclocking...it is kind of foolish to think that just because you got X-amount of overclock on one board, that some other board will give you much more (or much less, or any for that matter).

I'm not trying to be rude, only realistic. The NF4 Expert board DOES overclock better than any previous board, but you cannot just jam your hw in and expect it to instantly clock.

As I've stated in many previous posts, and has been plastered all over XS forums, the Expert board is a very different animal than the non-Expert, and it all boils down to DRAM Drive Strength and DRAM Data Drive Strength values.

If you are having troubles overclocking, you need to really focus on those two settings and try every possible combination. I guarantee if you find a sweet spot for your particular RAM, you will come to realize just how good this board can overclock.

But again, it is foolish to assume that just because the hype about the board says it will overclock until your nose bleeds UV colored blood, that you can just instantly overclock according to the hype.

as for the temp sensor issue, I have and will again suggest that you write to [email protected] and ask them once again to correct this issue. We have asked many times and no fix as of yet, so that is the only thing Rgone and I and others can suggest.

As for SATA II, I have seen no problems with SATA II on this board so if you have, please let me know (I am running 3x80GB SATA II RAID-0 on my main Expert NF4 right now with zero issues, and have seen no issues in the forums other than a few minor issues that were easily corrected with some help)

Yea my roommate built his system a day before me with the Asus A8N32 SLI x16 and installed everything on the first try with no problems here I am about 5 days later I haven't even got to play any games yet on mine (we are both gamers). I look like a huge butt/idiot and of the two of us I'm suppose to be the one who knows about computers!

If it wasn't for all the time and enegry I spent put this all together I'd return it right now and get that mobo, honestly if I can I'll do it in the next day or two if things don't start working right, this is getting ridilious though! :mad:

X-Fi Fatality

have you had your X-Fi flashed or replaced by Creative?

DFI currently has no BIOS fix for X-FI cards, and there was/is a problem with ALL X-FI cards (original) and ALL NF4 chipsets...regardless of mfg.

DFI elected to not have a bios fix for some reason or another, and so your option is to have Creative replace/reflash the X-Fi to work on our NF4 boards. Creative has been very good about this so I urge you to contact them as I am quite sure that without the X-Fi in your system, you would probably not have these problems as the rest of your hardware looks very good.

dont u have to intsll the ide driver if u use sata or raid?

when using the NVraid rebuild/hotswap etc, you must use the NV IDE driver.

I ONLY install the NV driver if using RAID.

if I am not using RAID, I do NOT install it.

Well, I've had this board for 5 days now and I've got headaches myself. The board randomly powers off after 3-4 seconds of startup (even before it posts). Weird thing is...if I keep trying, it'll have a successful boot after 5-6 attempts. I don't even care that memory settings are different now....but the board has really got some flaws (or maybe I got a faulty one). In any case, all other components are the same as previously used in an Ultra-D with ZERO problems for 6 months so I know it's not because of something else. I've removed/reinstalled all components 4 times now and get the same random power-off issue. AG, what could be the cause? Defective board?

[EDIT]

Let me add that the issue remains either overclocked or at stock.

Guest Beast

I'm having no real problems with my Expert and I've come from an SLI-DR. I'm using the 704-2BT bios with great success.

For the original poster, you can't exactly complain about the NF4 chipset placement, it's about the only place the could have put it. If yourchipset is getting hot the you need to ensure adequate cooling. Don't blame DFI for engineering it that way, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to realise from one glance at a picture of the board that two cards in SLI will make things warm.

A couple of ways you can go about improving your chipset cooling:

Ensure video card heat is going out of the case, not back into it. A fan in the side of the case over the cards can help draw that heat out, or you can use something like Arctic Silencers which vent all the hot video card heat out the back.

Ensure fresh cool air from the front of the case is supplied to the NF4 area. Use your imagination. No conventional motherboard design can circumvent the need for an adequately cooled case.

Uninstall the Nvidia Network and Firewall managers. There's problem #1. They are the root of many things evil. Next, Angry_games has written a very good SLI setup guide, though I'm sure since you know everything about computers you didnt think to look online for help. I would return your computer to stock clocks, NO overclocking, until you trace what is causing the instability and get rid of it. It doesnt help if your compounding faulty software by overclocking your HW out of spec. I've perviously tried an Asus A8N SLI Premium and a ABIT Fatalty SLI, and both were quite inferior as to the ways of overclocking, options and stability, compared to my DFI Expert.

Quick question: will older LanParty nF4 BIOS work w/ the Expert?

Definitely NOT recommended. The Expert is a totally different board and you could certainly fry something if you flashed the wrong bios.

Well, I've had this board for 5 days now and I've got headaches myself. The board randomly powers off after 3-4 seconds of startup (even before it posts). Weird thing is...if I keep trying, it'll have a successful boot after 5-6 attempts. I don't even care that memory settings are different now....but the board has really got some flaws (or maybe I got a faulty one). In any case, all other components are the same as previously used in an Ultra-D with ZERO problems for 6 months so I know it's not because of something else. I've removed/reinstalled all components 4 times now and get the same random power-off issue. AG, what could be the cause? Defective board?

[EDIT]

Let me add that the issue remains either overclocked or at stock.

I would say RMA the board to eliminate it (or validate it) as the problem

if you get a return board that does the same exact thing, you can rule out the board and start looking at your other components (specifically that VX if you are using high vdimm voltage, or possibly something else, or possibly the timings/config you are using)